just curious... dog vs cat

pipsqueak

Asking out of curiousity... where do we stand legally if neighbour's cat enters our property and our dog attacks (and at worst kills) the cat. We keep our dogs in of a nightor this very reason, but always a possibility during the day. I respect that cats are legally allowed to roam, but where do we stand, as our dogs are legally contained on our property. If cat survived, are we legally responsible for vet bills (though I would probably be inclined to pay them anyway, regardless).

I've been in this exact position actually (in Sydney)... and the neighbour that owned the cat tried to have my dogs declared dangerous... to no avail, as they were happy to greet the ranger enthusiastically... *grin*

Said neighbour then decided to take her own revenge by throwing baits over my fence, resulting in the death of one dog, and a 4 day vet stay for another... and unfortunately I couldn't prove beyond a doubt that it was her, even though she was bragging about it all over the neighbourhood... grr!

I tend to keep my dogs inside when I'm not home now...

T.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tdierikx said:

I've been in this exact position actually (in Sydney)... and the neighbour that owned the cat tried to have my dogs declared dangerous... to no avail, as they were happy to greet the ranger enthusiastically... *grin*

Said neighbour then decided to take her own revenge by throwing baits over my fence, resulting in the death of one dog, and a 4 day vet stay for another... and unfortunately I couldn't prove beyond a doubt that it was her, even though she was bragging about it all over the neighbourhood... grr!

I tend to keep my dogs inside when I'm not home now...

T.

Oh my goodness that's tragic T! :cry:

Some people are very sick individuals :( 

• Like 1

Quite frankly, I don't agree with letting pet cats roam indiscriminately... there are many bad things that can happen to them in the course of their travels... fights with other cats, cars skittling them, neighbours' dogs, nasty people who do mean things to animals... the list is long! If you love your cat, please keep it contained to your own property...

T.

• Like 4

On 8/5/2017 at 5:37 PM, tdierikx said:

Quite frankly, I don't agree with letting pet cats roam indiscriminately... there are many bad things that can happen to them in the course of their travels... fights with other cats, cars skittling them, neighbours' dogs, nasty people who do mean things to animals... the list is long! If you love your cat, please keep it contained to your own property...

T.

This. We've had a few near-misses in our yard and it infuriates me that I should have to worry about the welfare of the neighbours' cats when they clearly don't give a crap. Why should I have to limit my dogs' access to their own yard (and spend a lot of money raising fence height to try to keep cats out), just because someone else thinks their DOMESTIC ANIMAL is some sort of wild creature that requires access to everyone else's yards to fight, toilet and create more cats. 

I'm so sick of seeing missing cat posts on FB that say stuff like "Never usually wanders too far but this time.." or "Generally comes back after a few days but we haven't seen him in a week..".  In most of those cases, the cat is never found and in all likelihood, it's dead somewhere. Possibly a slow, agonising death from a traffic accident. Or killed by a dog. Or badly wounded fighting another cat. What kind of responsible pet owner would be willing to risk any of those outcomes, just to satisfy their cat's imagined "special needs"?

• Like 6