Show 4 weeks after pups too early?

mornaw

I am considering taking my bitch to a show when her puppies are 4 weeks old and weaned by 3 1/2 weeks old. 

I don't have any experience in this particular situation and seeking Yes/No answers to questions please:

Will her boobs have dried off enough for her to be comfortable?

Would a show day away from home/puppies be too stressful for her?

Could there be a possibility of disease like parvo being encountered?

Any advice taken on board for a learning experience - with thanks.

No

Yes

Yes

Multiple reasons not to take her to a show, no ribbon is worth it.  The puppies should still be drinking off mum, this is when they would be getting peak nutrition off her.  She won't be looking or feeling her best, will be exhausted and will certainly stress being away from her puppies. And very importantly, she could bring home a disease to them such as kennel cough or worse parvo.

• Like 4

Don't do it. How do you know the pups will be weaned by 3 1/2 weeks? I always let the bitch dictate weaning time. A day away from home will most likely be very stressful. And yes always the possibility of bringing disease home. I can't actually believe you are even thinking of it.

• Like 5

Wouldn't dream of showing a bitch with pups that age ,besides the fact i have never known a bitch to be in show condition with pups that old our bitches are not removed from there puppies ,they may be eating solids but there mum is well & truly still with babies playing ,educating & enjoying her brew.

I would suggest checking your state body as to whether they have an age in relating to when a bitch can be shown after pups,i think some states do .

But honestly the only answer is NO on all accounts ,common sense really

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mornaw said:

Will her boobs have dried off enough for her to be comfortable?

Would a show day away from home/puppies be too stressful for her?

Could there be a possibility of disease like parvo being encountered?

NO
YES
YES

Sorry .. but as you have said , you have no experience ..why on earth would you subject your bitch to this , when her hormones will still be all over the place ....what provisions have you made for the puppies on this day ? Someone home to feed/clean them ? heating in their bed ? 

and why are pups weaned at 3.5  weeks ? :(  If it is because the bitch  had no milk/other problems - then she should not be shown ... 

3 hours ago, mornaw said:

Any advice taken on board for a learning experience - with thanks.

Please do some more homework on breeding  dogs. What has your mentor advised ?  Weaning at such a young age  is unusual ..and not in pups' best interests...
I took this from the RSPCA site .

Puppies gradually wean off their mother's milk at around 8-12 weeks of age. By this time they are ready to eat puppy food and will be spending most of their time away from their mother, playing, eating and sleeping.

RSPCA Australia considers the minimum acceptable age for a puppy to be removed from the mother dog for adoption or purchase to be 8 weeks of age.

Waiting until the puppy is at least 8 weeks of age will help to ensure that the puppy has received an adequate supply of milk from the mother dog. Milk contains important nutrients needed for normal puppy growth and development and confers a certain degree of immunity to disease (puppies will still need to be vaccinated, please see your local vet for details). There may be certain circumstances where puppies are weaned earlier than this, such as when they are orphaned or require intensive care.

I do hope this is a "maybe" ..and that you have not already weaned these pups ..I really do ... 

• Like 2

No show is worth going too and leaving puppies at home and taking their Mother away for the day, not only will their Dam be stressed but so too the puppies.

3.5 weeks is far too soon for puppies to be weaned, I allow nature to dictate that, usually around six weeks they are starting on solids and even then they still go to their Mother for top up.

Oh yes Parvo is easily brought home from shows, on your shoes your clothes, such a cruel disease especially in puppies so young, they rarely survive.

There is always plenty of time to go to shows once the puppies are immunised, even then the Dam would not be in peak show condition as they usually drop every hair on their body after the pups are weaned, I have found that it takes around three or four months to get a bitch back into show condition.

No show is worth that.

• Like 2

RESOLUTION:  Will go to dog show but without dog.  Will disinfect on arrival home.  Will relax on the weaning.  All posts appreciated, thank you.  P.S.  Did a yummy mummy makeover groom yesterday.:cheers: Cheers

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mornaw said:

That sounds a much better plan ..ESPECIALLY the relaxing on weaning - let them pretty much  do it themselves ... 
This post might be helpful for you :)  CLICK HERE

remember , too , that parvo can not be killed by ordinary disinfectants ..it needs bleach , or the wonderful product, F10 , or other specific ones. 
bet your girl enjoyed her session of grooming :)

• Like 2

As Persephone has said no ordinary disinfectant will get rid of Parvo, F10 is the very best.

Do not go into your home with the clothes that you went to the show in, have a change of clothing somewhere handy to change into before you even dream of going into your puppies.

Personally I would not even go too the show, too much risk for your puppies, especially if you touch other peoples dogs, the hands would have to be washed in diluted F10 as well.  Big risk, I put the well being of my puppies before anything that would bring risk home.

There is always other shows every weekend, just be patient until your puppies are immunised twice or gone to their new homes for their sake.

• Like 1

As far as Parvo goes unless you plan to wear a forensic suit everytime you walk out the front door & disinfect your hand bag & anything else brought in you would never leave your home due to risk.

Risk is there everyday pups or not & the show is no more a risk than walking on the foot path to get home or kids playing on the school oval  or your neighbours dog .

The issue here is taking a bitch with young pups to a show who just simply doesn't need to be there .

• Like 4