Human hair conditioner

My little foster dog (Poodle Cross) is in need of a bath.  I have the Aloveen shampoo, but not the conditioner.  She has very tight short curly hair (obviously :laugh:) and I am sure I will have difficulty brushing it.  I have human Dermaveen Oatmeal Conditioner which states it is Hypoallergenic and free of sulphates, lanolin, parabens, artificial dyes, alcohol and fragrances.  

Would it be safe to use this on Orla as a one off?

You've probably already done it, but I'd use it. I've used my human Cetaphil face wash, and even even soap (liquid hand wash) once in a while on fluffy dog bums when they've needed runny poos washed off and I haven't had any dog things available.

• Like 1

When its an emergency and you don't have a dog shampoo, if you dilute the human shampoo or conditioner before applying it (I like to dissolve a tablespoon in about 1/2 litre of lukewarm water in a plastic jug and work into the coat from the jug) and rinse really thoroughly, all should be well.

I apply dog shampoo and conditioner the same way anyway - it's all in the rinse!!! LOL

• Like 1

yeah we have used human shower gel when my husband's dog shat on himself and I used to use my pantene knock off conditioner on my GSD - it won't kill her as a once off

BUT if she's got tight curly hair you'll want to make sure you blow dry and brush her dry otherwise she'll matt up

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sadly since starting this thread, precious Orla has crossed The ‘Bridge, but I though I’d give an update for those who might be interested in my experience.

Recently, two of my other dogs really needed a bath and, in the interests of economy, I realised I simply had to do them myself instead of taking them to the groomer.  So again, I used the Dermaveen conditioner.  This time I was more relaxed about it and used it a bit more freely.  Oh my goodness!!  What a difference it made.  One of the reasons I go to the groomer is that Tamar (Maltese x Shih Tzu) and Bunter (Pom x Corgi) have hair that knots so easily and also takes ages to dry.  

After using the conditioner, their coats were so easy to comb out and, consequently, they dried off very easily as well.  Now, several days later, their coats are still so soft and manageable.  Looks like I will be saving some money from now on.   

• Like 4

I might sound like a cracked record on this topic, but when I think back to all the years I’ve had my dogs groomed and the MONEY I’VE SPENT when all along I could have been using Dermaveen Conditioner, I could cry.  BTW,  I checked with my vet yesterday and she said it was fine.  I commented that it was probably the same as the dog conditioner Aloveen and she agreed.  

Anyway, a week after I used this on Bunter and Tamar, their coats are still so soft and manageable and look so much better for it; still so easy to brush and they feel gorgeous.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, sparkycat said:

An old vet suggested I use Selsum blue on my lot. It makes their white bits sparkle :)

Pretty much anything blue will make them sparkle.

We used to rinse the horses in blue'o washing aid. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is an excellent thread DOLers! I've been using Aloveen oatmeal shampoo and conditioner on the norty brown dawgs for years - but it's still an expensive exercise when you DIY! So today, i bought the large pump bottles of Dermaveen oatmeal shampoo and conditioner for them. I wash both at home pretty frequently (weekly during summer due to allergies) so we go through a lot of shampoo and conditioner and Malaseb and other topical creams etc The Dermaveen is on special at Chemist Warehouse ATM. I'm happy to be saving some money :)

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 2:40 PM, sheena said:

I wash MY HAIR with dog shampoo  :)

Fido's White and Bright is awesome on blonde hair, and it smells nicer than most human shampoos. Same with the Fido's Herbal Rinse. Dogs don't appreciate pretty smells, yet all of the Fido's stuff I've tried has smelled really nice. It's not fair  :mad

1 hour ago, Maddy said:

Fido's White and Bright is awesome on blonde hair, and it smells nicer than most human shampoos. Same with the Fido's Herbal Rinse. Dogs don't appreciate pretty smells, yet all of the Fido's stuff I've tried has smelled really nice. It's not fair  :mad

I use Fidos soap free with emu oil & also the essential dog ones on my own hair.  One of my dogs hasn't been bathed in 6 years.  They swim a lot in the dam & the family pool.  Seems to keep them pretty clean :)