Lurchers Victoria

krisjoy44

I'm trying to find out if there's anyone in Victoria that does bedlington/whippet lurchers. I can find plenty of whippet x but they never say what the x otherwise there are staghounds, but I can't seem to find any lurchers.

I haven't heard of any.

May I ask why that particular cross attracts you? If you are trying to get a Whippet temperament in a woolly Bedlington body. you would probably need for this to be a very common cross before you would have a very good chance of lucking into that. The terrier temperament is usually very strong in Bedlingtons. 

If you like the terrier temperament, a woolly coat and the sighthound shape, then the Bedlington itself is exactly what you need and no cross required!

The most common Whippet crosses I have noticed are crosses with bull breeds, staffies being the most common. There are very few Bedlingtons in Victoria, and so it is very unlikely that any would be used for cross breeding here.

• Like 3

this is a common cross in the UK.  I've seen a few here, but since Bedlingtons themselves are fairly rare here then a Whippet/Bedlington is even rarer.  Probably rabbiters might breed them.   I think there was one in rescue about a year ago.

They're pretty cute looking. They remind me of a tiny deerhound.

Edited by Kirislin
  • Like 1