Which vet would you choose?

mowgliandme

3 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

And CC/DS does not involve giving a freaking "CORRECTION" which is by the way PUNISHMENT.

I was going to say,  how is a "correction" ANYTHING but a punishment in this case?

• Like 2

Sophia Yin has some great work that highlights counter conditioning and desensitisation :) I've used these techniques with a variety of (previously growling and biting) dogs to get them used to used to grooming or seeing other dogs~

I think we will drop into the new vet a few times and see how we go! ~:) 

It was probably just a once off in hindsight as she has never acted like that anywhere and normally is pretty fearless/gungho

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, sarsplodicus said:

So sorry! Did I really deserve this? I was trying to be helpful. I'm going.

Sorry sarsplodicus - I dont believe anyone was trying to be mean! Thank you for the well wishes :)

Its just that is an issue which tends to get people up in arms and there is evidence that the "reinforcing fear" idea is not how giving treats to a scared dog works!

I dont like to get into such discussions online but please do check out more resources on the theory behind counter conditioning and desensitisation~ :) 

• Like 3

I'm about to change vets for our new pup and the chihuahuas as I never seem to see the same vet even for a follow up after operation at our greencross vet.

Ive found one closer where the owner is the vet so we will see the same person each time.

:)

Edited by Poppy78
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, mowgliandme said:

Can I ask how you vet shopped to find your vets? :) Did you go in when they had no issues to a few of them? Did you need to book appointments etc?

I feel like online they all look pretty much the same - some just have more tech and staff than others~

I've also got a few more recommended ones but not sure how to go about it! 

Poor Thistle got more check ups than she liked! But that's because I wanted to evaluate how they'd physically handle her in a consult (e.g. when I advise its better we avoid the table, better we both sit on the floor, whether they object* to me having her in a muzzle on occasion, the general tone they take with me and her). I took her to a new one about once a month I think. But I found 2 good vets out of 3 so easily done.

Yeah online they all look the same. I did have some criteria - like 24/7 open for emergencies and I have a preference for walk-in options and a backdoor entry....so if its too busy for us we will go away and come back later (obviously not an option for surgery or emergency but for a consult...)

*actually happened once, a vet of all people...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Thistle the dog said:

....... better we both sit on the floor,

LOL, I well remember the time when both the vet and I were sitting on the floor with [forget which dog now] talking about treatment.  Not because the dog was afraid of the table, though; it just seemed to happen.   I guess we both thought of the dog and got down to his level.  :heart: :heart: 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:31 AM, Dame Danny's Darling said:

LOL, I well remember the time when both the vet and I were sitting on the floor with [forget which dog now] talking about treatment.  Not because the dog was afraid of the table, though; it just seemed to happen.   I guess we both thought of the dog and got down to his level.  :heart: :heart: 

It was only in the last few months of her life that my  BC girl who passed earlier in the year, was routinely examined and treated o the table.  My lovely vet, who had been her vet since her first well puppy visit, routinely worked from the floor, to make her more comfortable.   She was never freaking out, but was mildly stressed.  His thoughtfulness continued when he came out to the car to do her PTS, and was so thoughtful of her comfort even then.

Now I think about it, our holistic vet, who is very tall, routinely examines the dogs while they're on the floor, and acupuncture and laser and PEMF treatments are given at that level.

Love my vets.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2017 at 3:05 PM, mowgliandme said:

Sophia Yin has some great work that highlights counter conditioning and desensitisation :) I've used these techniques with a variety of (previously growling and biting) dogs to get them used to used to grooming or seeing other dogs~

I think we will drop into the new vet a few times and see how we go! ~:) 

It was probably just a once off in hindsight as she has never acted like that anywhere and normally is pretty fearless/gungho

Thanks  so much for posting  this article  mowgli,  I've  found it very helpful in calming  pandi down at grooming time. :thumbsup:

• Like 2