Anyone doing Susan Garrett's Recallers this year?

I've been a member of the free It's Yer Choice summit this year and was all lined up to pay $499 to join Recallers when I realised USD dollars makes it $628..gulp.

I did it anyway because I regretted not joining last year.  I've told myself no café coffees from now to make up for the extra on so may I have the strength to commit!

I do quite a bit of IYC with my dog anyway but I'm self taught and don't always get training right.  I'm really looking forward to having a structured training plan and help from experts along the way and especially ending up with a dog reliable off lead and who can recall off whatever gets her attention at the time.  

Have many people here done the course before?  Any helpful feedback going in to it is very much welcome :)

• Like 3

It's technically an annual fee but if you make a video for the contest you've got a very good chance of free access for that year. I have not paid since my first year. Renewals for the other courses are MUCH cheaper too. She talks about value a lot and I thought it was just marketing. But it's true. The live coaching calls, all the bonuses - I love it. 

• Like 3

I think I've seen your name pop up a few times TSD and I saw the cute pic of Em?  on the vets table staring at a treat lol

I think it works out to $46 a month overall because you get 13 months and other bonus things. Lots of videos, printouts, Facebook group, forum/chat room, help and a cd at the end off the top of my head. Everyone seems so uplifting and supportive and a minimum 5min training session a day is pretty achievable! I can't wait to have a dog who is reliable off lead and who'll spin back on recall from anything (assuming I put the effort in of course). So excited!

• Like 3

Yes that's me @Roova

I don't get paid by the way - although occasionally I might get access to some bonus material - but it really is about that sense of community. When you are feeling frustrated or something in your training has gone pear shaped or you want to celebrate the Recallers community is a pretty cool place. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Roova said:

I think I've seen your name pop up a few times TSD and I saw the cute pic of Em?  on the vets table staring at a treat lol

I think it works out to $46 a month overall because you get 13 months and other bonus things. Lots of videos, printouts, Facebook group, forum/chat room, help and a cd at the end off the top of my head. Everyone seems so uplifting and supportive and a minimum 5min training session a day is pretty achievable! I can't wait to have a dog who is reliable off lead and who'll spin back on recall from anything (assuming I put the effort in of course). So excited!

Woohoo congrats TSD :) 

At $46 a month its well worth it. I haven't done any SG stuff for a year or so now but I did a lot of her early online stuff - including Recallers, Contacts, Handling 360 etc. SGs work has given me the tools to make me the trainer I am today. While I'm not out there setting the world on fire competition wise I do have three high drive dogs that I can take anywhere, and do just about anything with because I know they will behave themselves and not cause an ounce of trouble. If I had $5 for every compliment I get on my dog's good behaviour from colleagues, friends, vets, accommodation places and general Joe public plus the peace of mind it gives you - I'd have paid my way through Recallers a dozen times over. 

4 weeks training at our club is $40 for 3 hours. One of my battles with instructing agility is that so many dogs don't have the basic skills and the handlers don't have the understanding or confidence on how to tackle even basic life skills issues.  The difference is understanding the dog training science behind it vs. being handed a "recipe" on how to fix x,y and z. It gives you the skills and the confidence to tackle so many of those life skills issues and get them sorted :)  

This is my high prey drive BC x Kelpie Zee chucking a wobbly asking for permission to chase bunnies - fairly sure it was bunnies because roos and wallabies don't create that much excitement. At no point did I tell her no or recall her, this is a genuine "check in or its your choice" moment. She did get a handful of treats as a reward for her awesome choices :)  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, The Spotted Devil said:

Roova this will be my 4th year. Never regretted it as she really looks after her alumni. I'm an instructor in there too now! I also do H360, Agility Nation and  Puppy Peaks :laugh: 

Serial offender here too .. I think it's my fifth year in Recallers, lucky enough to have kept renewing Puppy Peaks, and in H360 and Agility Nation as well.   Yes it's $$$, but it gets relatively cheaper as you stay in, and the goodness keeps increasing exponentially .. so that the major problem you have is actually finding time to watch all the goodies and train the dogs.

Lovely supportive faculty and community, both online and IRL.

As TSD and Jess have said, it's the dog training science .. presented In a clearly understandable way, as well as the specific exercises, that make it such a great programme IMHO.   And it's progressing all the time.   I love the emphasis on building confidence and joy .. it's all about the joy!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up to the free, two-week VIP pass for recallers :)

https://recallers.com/vip-guest-pass/

I'm steaming mad I missed the final Its Yer Choice Summit video (was only up for one day), but we have progressed to the ?second? exercise so far I am enjoying the structured videos.

Maybe next year can buy the recallers subscription...

• Like 1

The attachments were all removed and the power hour summary video (which I think I would have preferred) are removed all together. I saved the PDF quick guides though so not all is lost!

I know its a a marketing ploy but damn if it's not a little frustrating! I need more of a taste to mull it over but maybe this Recallers will help give taste. I will watch the video 1 tonight. I need to see a sample of the games and "structure" to see if it's the kind of thing for me. 

Edited by Thistle the dog

I never got to see the power hour... might have been done on an internet free day.

The final IYC video is still up on the FB page as best I can tell...

The FB Page "Free Dog Training Workshop"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/freedogtrainingworkshop/

Susan Garrett Q and A (take the spaces out if you're cutting and pasting the link to another browser like I do)
The link works if you're on the facebook account where you have access to the page ie only members of the page can view.
ht tps://www.fa cebook.com/susan.garrett1/videos/10213848677949959/
https://www.facebook.com/susan.garrett1/videos/10213848677949959/

The original instruction video is here - she's done some additions and edits for the summit but essentially red cattle dog that likes to bark a lot...
its yer choice (IYC) for Tim Ferris - the long version of how you do IYC with the red cattle dog mix.
http://dogsthatlisten.com/tim/

2 hour podcast full of good stuff...
Podcast on dog training with Susan Garrett and Tim Ferris
http://tim.blog/2016/11/14/susan-garrett/

Agility page... (less active at the moment)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/H360FreeAgilityWorkshop/

Other stuff

*start updated 6th Sept 2017* with fb live Susan on the Verandah doing selfie - this one is a bit woo (not enough evidence based stuff)
7 tips to help your dog live a long and healthy life!

Tip 5 Video on importance of trimming dog nails Dr Leslie Woodcock
    - includes Susan's blog link
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM4HQDb1Ef0

tip 6 (11mins 30 seconds in) - nutrition supplements
     DOGgeviti ~ http://doggeviti.com/
    Coupon code: SAYYES10
    and 1-TDC  http://1-tdc.com/
*end updated 6th Sept 2017*

sdfs

• Like 1

@Jess.    I was just watching Zee's awesome demonstration of IYC just now, and Miss Pippa puppy was MOST interested .. hope she was taking notes.   She's getting heaps better, but nowhere near that awesome level of control.   But she is only 6 months old. :laugh:

• Like 3

This is going to be a really stupid question but is it all about recalls?  Or is there other stuff in there too?

I've got a 100% happy recall away from barking at possums in the backyard and away from other dogs/pretty much everything... (it took 2-3 calls though when we saw a rabbit when we were out exploring and once saw a mouse on the street - both of these are once offs) but i don't have rabbits/mice nearby to practise with at home...? Would it still be useful for such situations?

Is Its Your Choice a separate program to Recallers or part of it?

Ideally I would like Mowgli to choose not to bark at possums every night, she will definitely come back each time i call her but i end up just closing the doggy door after recalling her a few times. Once the door is closed she doesn't care about them anymore.

I've been wondering this too. The VIP pass, the first video is basically a trailer, the second video is about place commands and release words, the third I think was about the value of rewards (I found it hard to focus for this one). 

I guess I was expecting the VIP videos to be more of a "sample" of the recallers annual sub as a "try before you buy" and less of Susan  talking about how great recallers is? 

Is the layout of these videos similar to what you get on the recallers annual? Just because if I'm going to have to dedicate 20-30 minutes each time to a speech on how life changing it is, followed by a story, then a "game" at the end... very hesitant. I think I liked the IYC summit more, was expecting videos like that that go over a game to play and variations of it. 

:( only one video to go

• Like 1

Some of the videos are super quick and others are longer. The thing is, if you don't understand the layers of learning and you don't know how to problem solve then you won't get the full value. I watch the videos in the evening instead of TV....plan out my training for the next day. Sometimes I might watch an Agility specific video (H360 not Recallers) multiple times until I'm sure I get it. And I video my own training. Think. Plan. Do. Review. 

• Like 2

Are the recallers videos quite different in format to these VIP ones then?

as I was expecting more on the theory and parts of games and a less focus on life changing stories ? Like in the IYC summit where she explained why you hold the treat certain ways and various angles etc

Edited by Thistle the dog

These ones seem to be more on the theory of why she emphasises dog's choice as such a powerful training method .. though in the first one, she was showing how it contrasts with other techniques.  The second one is showing the speed with which a naïve dog can be trained with the Hot Zone game using shaping and choice (with setting the scenario up so it's more likely the dog will make 'good' choices.

• Like 1