6 week old Puppies with pot bellies and diarrhoea

BELLA90

Hi, 

just  have a question for the experienced breeders. 

History: puppies are currently 6 weeks old. They were orphaned at 1 1/2 weeks, I raised the  entire litter with tube feeding up until 4 weeks where they were completely weaned onto solids with formula mixed through, we have now cut out the formula (we did this gradually) and they are completely on solids. They are fed soaked black hawk puppy kibble with chicken mince four times a day. They have been wormed with Drontal liquid puppy wormer at 2/4/6 weeks. They are all eating, bright, happy puppies with shiney coats. They eat very well, and none are dull. I had a fecal float done to rule out coccidiosis and Guardia, negative for both, and only very few worm eggs were detected. They done a 5 day course of antibiotics, just incase of any infection, and have all seen the vet at 5 weeks for individual fecal floats and check ups. All good, vet was very happy with their condition and growth. 

BUT, even after the course of antibiotics, and just being wormed at 6 weeks on schedule, their poos are still not solid, and they still have abit of a belly. There were a few roundworms found in the poos after this worming, which I was told is normal and shows the wormer works. But I can't think of what else it could be causing the loose stools. It's not watery/bloody or smelly. It's just not a nice little "log" like it should be (excuse the term)

if if you have any suggestions or tests that I could do I'm more than happy to. Please let me know :)  

well done! hand rearing pups is not easy.

Thing you could try:

1. cut down the number of feeds - twice a day is probably enough and will let their tummies rest a bit between meals

2. give them the chicken with boiled (gluggy) rice for a couple of days + a "finger full" of plain yoghurt or yokult

3. change the kibble to a gluten free one

39 minutes ago, JRG said:

well done! hand rearing pups is not easy.

Thing you could try:

1. cut down the number of feeds - twice a day is probably enough and will let their tummies rest a bit between meals

2. give them the chicken with boiled (gluggy) rice for a couple of days + a "finger full" of plain yoghurt or yokult

3. change the kibble to a gluten free one

Sugar-free yoghurt may be ok but I would stay away from the yakult as... (I have cut & pasted this info from another site) If you look at the ingredient label of the industries most popular probiotic drink, you will see that it contains 11.4g of sugar per 65ml serve (this is 17.5g per 100ml). There 'Light' version contains 7.1g of sugar per 65ml serve (10.9g per 100ml).

Yakult      Yakult Light
Sugar per 65ml serve     11.4g          7.1g
Sugar per 100ml             17.5g        10.9g

Not a good idea to include sugars for upset tums,

11.4g sugar is 2.9tsp

Thankyou JRG, 

Its been a lot of work and a lot of sleepless nights but it's very rewarding! 

I have also also had them on protexin, a probiotic supplement. 

I will try gluten free and see how I go :) 

Thanks again 

Round tummies at six weeks is not abnormal.  I've often wished poos would firm up sooner, but squishy with occasional runny isn't unusual.  I don't worry if it's not liquid.  The antibiotics may be part of the problem...it may have killed off gut flora.  Pumpkin tends to stabilize the GI tract.  Canned is fine, or you can cook a natural one.

If you do raw chicken anything, make sure it's very clean, human grade. Salmonella is often found on raw chicken, and it can kill pups whose immune systems aren't fully developed.  As for necks, I'd say they are a bigger risk than whole carcass because the pups may be able to get the whole thing into their mouths.  How big are these guys?

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 2

Try not soaking the kibble... leave it dry so they have to chew... and there will also be less liquid in their feeds. Stools should firm up pretty quickly...

At 6 weeks, they should have no trouble chewing kibble... no need to soak it down.

As for the worms... it's fairly normal to have/see worms when feeding raw meats...just stick to your regular worming schedule, and all should be fine.

T.

• Like 2

All perfect now :) bellies are normal (except straight after feeding) and poos are nice little solid piles, sooo much easier for cleaning! all happy, healthy and very boisterous little puppies. Vacc/microchipped and vet check done all clear with no problems. Seven weeks old and I'm going to be very sad to see them all leave for their new homes in a week! Thankyou everyone for your help! Much appreciated. 

• Like 1