Paws - Anti slip ideas for elderly dogs

Bella is now 13 and on treatment for arthritis and I've been using anti slip rubber nail covers to help her with traction on the floors.

I read that you can use Paw Wax but its quite expensive.

Is there a home made remedy ? Can you use surfboard wax ?

Not being a surfer, I googled surfboard wax.  I would not use it.  I'd be wary of putting anything much on paws - don't forget they're likely to lick, get it all over furniture, all over the floors ect.  But my biggest worry would be ingestion. 

We found non-slip mats and "being sensible" were the biggest help to us.  Luckily for us, we were only renting the place we had floor boards. 

I'm thinking an easier and cheaper option might be to get hold of some medical grade adhesive and apply patches of non slip drawer matting like that on a roll .

We have a hallway that is nearly 20+ meters long and to get a runner is probably not an option as hubby is not very mobile and it could be a tripping danger for him .

Sigh poor doggies when they get older :cry:

non slip mat.jpg

• Like 1

we used long grippy mats from bunnings in our hallway for when D was starting to slip and slide a bit -- didn't look great but was functional. we also got a large rug and used IKEA rug 'hold in place thingos' for his main traffic area