Puppy to Dog interaction

KobiD

Usually I wouldn't keep her at said distance, but the other person kind of closed the distance on us, and she wasn't out of control. He's offered to let them have a good run off leash some time when she warms up a bit more too, which I'm not opposed to. As long as it remains structured and not a free for all. It's nice when things start falling into place.

• Like 1

Just got back from another round with the family. Some nice structured walking on leash. A little freedom off leash. Let her greet another dog through their gate. Ignored her boyfriend as he walked past. Said hello to another little dog and had a sniff. Watched another walk past opposite side of the road without reacting. Then ended up off leash with the same BC she had a play with the other day.

Ours is very food driven, the other ball driven so play doesn't happen much. They get around together. Ours gets a bit jealous if I try to pat the other one though, has a bark and carries on but nothing OTT. 

• 3 weeks later...

We spent the last couple mornings down the beach for several hours, doing laps of the esplanade, passing many people and greeting several dogs before moving on. She's definitely come a long way since last time we were down there in terms of impulse control and overall excitement. First morning she was more interested in the smells than the treats, but we simply slowed down and moved only once she could get the focus back in my direction. 

A lot of positive encounters with a variety of dogs, and always mixing it up between sometimes greeting briefly and sometimes letting them simply pass by. I've noticed quite a shift where she'd previously start barking as other dogs would approach to where she now crouches down all submissive but still moves in to say hello. She's still a bit unsure. Had one greeting today where the other dog was a bit excited and she came back around my legs. Kept it very short and the other dog and owner moved along. Interestingly seeing that same dog again later she was much more aware of it's presence, both in wanting to move towards it, but also being not sure. 

Just making sure all positive encounters are following up with lots of praise, pets and treats.

I think I'll try and hit up a few new areas over the next couple weeks and see if we can start proofing the behaviour in a larger variety of environments.  

• Like 2

Sounds good.   I'd just say, don't forget that for at least part of any walk, the walk should be the dog's walk .. sniffing, etc. etc.   Then switch to the more controlled part where there are other dogs and/or people.

Always is Tassie! I pretty much have 'go sniff' on cue. Still working on the balance between sniffing with a loose leash, and knowing if she's sniffing to familiarise or sniffing to source out and consume something I'd rather not. A couple times I've had her pull, waited for her to shift focus back and then released her only to have her dive into some bushes and scoff down something.

That is something else we've been working on though, trying to build value about leaving anything on the ground and only helping herself on direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Still working with her on this and looking back at how she was to where she is she has shown some great improvements. She has had some very positive encounters with a variety of dogs. She does get a bit fearful if the other dog is too playful or stands over her too much and tends to come back in behind me indicating it's time for them to keep moving on. 

There is still a certain distance where she gets a bit overwhelmed or over threshold and focus shifts from me to the other dog, but as they move past she tends to snap back out of it and back onto task. I must say I have only been using kibble lately to reward so not high value by any means. 

• Like 1