Friendly Dog Collars

Anyone here use things from "Friendly Dog Collars"? 

I was thinking of buying one for my reactive dog for when we go to the pet shop for the hydrobath. And even for regular walks too. 

I didn't know what would be better; 

a "No Dogs" leash,

or a "Nervous" leash.  

Or maybe even just a "training" leash... maybe... 

He doesn't fit either category that well... 

He is fine with some dogs, and I don't know if a "No Dogs" lead would have owners panicking and pulling their dogs away. 

But at the same time he isn't always nervous, he is sometimes, but sometimes he is just overexcited, and sometimes he is calm & well behaved. 

Has anyone got any experience with these leads? Is the visibility any good? Do most people pay attention to them? 

ETA: He's a staffy so smooth haired, so a collar could maybe work in combo with a lead 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

@Thistle the dog has two vests I believe. Maybe a "Nervous. Give me space" For Thistle and an "In Training. Give me space" for young Thyme. 

Maybe message her and ask where she got them. 

Otherwise, there's a few places to get them.  I've never bought them - but I think if you google "traffic light" leads they come up. 

Edited by Scottsmum
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Scottsmum said:

@Thistle the dog has two vests I believe. Maybe a "Nervous. Give me space" For Thistle and an "In Training. Give me space" for young Thyme. 

Maybe message her and ask where she got them. 

Otherwise, there's a few places to get them.  I've never bought them - but I think if you google "traffic light" leads they come up. 

Thanks SM :) 

I've seen Thistle's ones on Instagram. But I don't know if I need a vest, plus it's often for when he is getting a bath, so I don't want to have to put a vest on a wet dog. Plus he is walked on a harness. 

Although could be handy to hang a vest over the glass pool gate that is around the DIY bath area so people can plainly see it and give a little bit of space. Sometimes people queue up there for the bath and then we have to tell them if they could please wait elsewhere while we leave because otherwise Mo might react. :( 

I was thinking of these from the company "Friendly Dog Collars"

https://friendlydogcollars.com.au/collections/no-dogs

I'll have a look for some other companies too. 

Do you think a leash would be more visible than a collar/harness/bandana? 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

I think for your purpose, a leash or leash sleeve would work well. My friend has one that you slip on to the dog end of the leash, for days where needed. I saw similar today, and they were pretty visible "ADOPT ME" ones but were more flag like.

Looks like this:

tumblr_ov8zg12aAM1qdzuh1o1_540.jpg

(he's resting)

I find people can't read bandanas very well, which is why do not often use our "don't touch" bandana. Harnesses are equally hard to read because most of the writing is on the chest...which is below eye level.

I do hang Thistle's vest on gates and stuff, when using dog parks or the DIY dog wash or leaving her in car, so people are warned.

and some people are just oblivious. Today we had two people come up and pat Thyme while in his Training vest. They stopped when I told them not to, and considering what a busy location it was, 2 out of like 60+ people isn't so bad.

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

Do you think a leash would be more visible than a collar/harness/bandana? 

I'd take TTDs advice on this one. But big and obvious and in your face would be my bet. 

I wouldn't be too worried about putting them on a wet dog - I assume you'll towel dry him off a bit and TTDs look like nylon - so easy and fast to dry. 

Edited by Scottsmum
  • Like 2

I know people who have had strangers come up and ask what the dog is in training for and someone even had a so-called dog trainer rush up to their human-fearful dog to ask about the yellow GIVE ME SPACE vest. :banghead:

So remember that you can't fix stupid! :eek: 

Anyway, I like the vests or Thistle's sleeve idea. I think even the leads are probably too small to read. And I'd go with a yellow GIVE ME SPACE or if I you really want a friendly dogs one then NERVOUS — IMO the red background is hard to read against and those in the know will hopefully give you space just by seeing yellow.

If there's a community notice board you could put up a poster: http://www.yellowdog-australia.k9events.com/posters-jpeg.html

Perse those tshirts are awesome! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

If there's a community notice board you could put up a poster: http://www.yellowdog-australia.k9events.com/posters-jpeg.html

Oh cool that's a great idea! I might. 

We don't really have a notice board as such, but people stick stuff in the fish & chip shop window haha. Or perhaps I could ask the vet if she'll let me stick one in their window/waiting room noticeboard. 

• Like 1

Some people people are just clueless. My dog school you meant to keep at least 1m between dogs AND it's a yellow dog program school with it in the terms of reference AND your first lesson in each level goes over the yellow dog rule (yours truly then pointed at)

...and I still get the odd person who will walk right up into our space with a dog in tow to ask about the space jacket. (Most common question: is it people or dogs?) 

Im slowly getting better at having Thistle sit while I step forward and ask them not to come any closer. 

Thistke has only had the "what's she in training for" a couple of times. Ppl far more likely to ask if she's up for adoption. 

Thyme is regularly asked "what's he in training for" and my answer is always "to be a good boy". 

Sonetimes if im feeling silly, "therapy dog for my other dog". 

... if I really want us to be given space I put Thistles muzzle on. No one would take thyme seriously in a muzzle tho. He's just too cute. (Did have a kid yesterday ask if he will bite due to the in training. Took his jacket off for that kid to say hello)

all that said. Overall is a decrease in being bothered by ppl or dogs. Self managing of turning and avoiding ppl helps too and is best method I think. Can't trust ppl to read the signs. Combine for best effect!

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 2

@Thistle the dog  

That is really a pain that "nervous" and "adoptable" are both yellow... I could see that causing some issues for some people! :( 

I've been thinking about muzzling him, but as you know he is a tan/red coloured staffy mix, so I'm (stupidly) worried I'll be reinforcing stereotypes... Also I don't want "dogless" people to be cautious of him, he loves attention and I feel like with a muzzle people would steer clear (so they should) and that he'd scare children. :( 

I wish you could still buy the pastel blue Baskerville muzzles, they seem a bit less "scary" and "harsh". I'm not sure how long tape lasts to make regular muzzles fancy, did Thistle's get grotty pretty quickly? 

Thanks for the help btw :) 

Do you have non dog people friends whose opinions you could ask on what they would notice / not notice? I was just thinking something like 'No Dogs' is too ambiguous, ie it could just look like a 'no fear' logo type scenario. I think the vests saying 'give me space' are plain enough and you just need to remind people.

The leash sleeve looks like the best option from the above choices.

• Like 1