Sea weed & Dogs

sheena

We spend a lot of time at the beach & my dogs have just this last couple of weeks started to eat the sea weed along the high tide mark.  First one dog started doing it & now the other.  Apart from making them really thirsty & their poos a bit sloppy, are they doing themselves any harm?? They really search it out :vomit:

I sometimes add kelp (seaweed powder) to the dogs' food, it is very high i minerals and things like iodine so I am sure it does them no harm.

quote:

Kelp is ideal for balancing glandular functioning in dogs. Iodine is essential for stimulating the thyroid gland. Kelp can help maintain a shiny and healthy skin and coat in dogs. ... Another benefit of iodine in kelp is that it helps to better manage dogs' weight by improving their metabolism.

Thanks JRG.  I just did a bit of a Google & a few sites refer to the dangers of dried seaweed (which is what they are eating)...here is just one quote:- 

Beware of Wild Sun-Dried Seaweed

No type of seaweed is inherently unsafe, but the condition and preparation of the seaweed can have a huge impact on a dog's health. Dried, wild seaweed of the type commonly seen on beaches during high summer is not good for your pooch. The sun dries out the seaweed, causing it to shrink. Once digested, the seaweed will expand inside your pup's stomach, causing potentially fatal blockages.

Does anybody else have a dog that eats seaweed???