Phoebe has puppies!

Rebanne

babies are a week old today. The 3 brindles are doing well but my little red boy not so much. I've started tube feeding him and he's been vet checked. Quite a feisty bugger but not so good at latching on and staying on, so tube feeding it is.

• Sad 1

I hand reared a singleton puppy last year doing the sponge feeding, it is absolutely brilliant, her Mother did not want anything to do with her right from the start, came home with colostrum and went to songe feeding.

I would get the latex free sponges and try him with this method, my little girl was going backward, once feeding her with the sponge she came really good and never looked back.

You can google sponge feeding on you tube, so easy so safe and less invasive than the tube.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mjosa said:

You can google sponge feeding on you tube, so easy so safe and less invasive than the tube.

@Mjosa problem is my boy has not been latching on properly to either Phoebe's or the bottle's nipples so I am not sure he would manage the sponge either. And truth be told I am not sure I could manage the sponge, the syringe and the puppy! he is full of vim and vigour in everything but feeding, I am sure I'd drop one of the 3. However it is currently 2.45 am and he has actually had a good feed from the bottle just now as I didn't want to use the tube while half asleep. I do appreciate your advice though and have taken it on board.

• Like 3

Rebanne I am so pleased that he has had a good feed, hopefully onward and upward from now on with this prei tcious little boy.

I understand that he could not latch on to his Mum and initially the teat on a bottle, nor could my little girl to start with, but the sponge goes right back and they suck it to try and get rid of it and then they find there is milk and then the sucking action kicks in.

Hopefully he now continues sucking on the bottle, would try him on his Mum when you are more wide awake if that is ever a possibility when rearing a litter.:laugh:

2 hours ago, Mjosa said:

Rebanne I am so pleased that he has had a good feed, hopefully onward and upward from now on with this prei tcious little boy.

I understand that he could not latch on to his Mum and initially the teat on a bottle, nor could my little girl to start with, but the sponge goes right back and they suck it to try and get rid of it and then they find there is milk and then the sucking action kicks in.

Hopefully he now continues sucking on the bottle, would try him on his Mum when you are more wide awake if that is ever a possibility when rearing a litter.:laugh:

Something seems to have switched on in his brain! 2 more successful bottle feeds and a 100 grams weight gain in 24 hrs. "Red" is with his Mum 24/7 except when I steal him :heart:

• Like 11

a funny little story from yesterday when the puppies were one week old. Phoebe moved something, a paw or her tail, and one of the little girls was not impressed and let out a growl. The look on Phoebe's face was priceless. It was so much a WTF look as she looked down her nose at them. :laugh:

First growl I had heard but there has already been a bark or two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, Rebanne said:

Something seems to have switched on in his brain! 2 more successful bottle feeds and a 100 grams weight gain in 24 hrs. "Red" is with his Mum 24/7 except when I steal him :heart:

Whew!

I saw you had updated and had feared the worst

What a relief  :thumbsup:

• Like 1