Which tick preventive

Nomads

Hello

we are getting a new pup in October and was wondering which is the best tick preventative.  I'm hearing so much scary stuff about Nexgard etc that I'm not sure if I want to use these.  But what alternative do I have?  We are traveling this great country and our new little man will need to be covered for all ticks all the time.  Back home in tassie ticks aren't such a huge issue so we had no need to dose our dogs up on it.  

Thanks in advance 

us grey nomads 

Hi and welcome to the forum

I use Nexgard and have done so for a couple of years without any problems.  I've given it to a very old cattle dog, an old Cavalier and a Cavalier pup.  I think the pup will need to be at least 12 weeks old before you can start him/her on it.

• Like 2

I have some serious concerns about tick/flea products which are ingested by the dogs.  The facebook site "Does Bravecto Kill Dogs?" is frightening.  I use products which work on the outside of the dogs - I have used Advantix - which was ok but needed renewing fortnightly, plus we have found a couple of tick despite using it.  Have also used spray on Frontline which was excellent.
I now used Scalibor tick collars - 3 monthly renewal - and NO  ticks.

• Like 1

Thanks Jed

im leaning towards the flea collars as they seem to be more dog friendly.  With the scalibor collar do you need to remove before swimming?  The info says they are waterproof but just need to make sure 

cheers