Clean Whelping Area

Appleisle

I am expecting our first litter in a couple of weeks and am wondering what people use to clean the whelping area? What puppy friendly disinfectants are good and what other precautions do you take with the other doggy members of the family? Thanks

I have a whelping box in my living room with a large pen around it that is hung with covers - that's basically so my over protective Mama doesn't try to kill everyone! Normally I have a very peaceful household. I use F10 for visitors (hand wash) and I make up a spray bottle for shoes and clothes. Nonetheless I ask for visitor shoes to be left outside. In the house I just use a simple Earth disinfectant when cleaning floors. I'm conscious about where I take my other dogs but I don't get too obsessed. If my dogs - including the Mama - don't get out for some intense exercise there's too much pent up energy. And that's not good for anyone. 

6 minutes ago, The Spotted Devil said:

I have a whelping box in my living room with a large pen around it that is hung with covers - that's basically so my over protective Mama doesn't try to kill everyone! Normally I have a very peaceful household. I use F10 for visitors (hand wash) and I make up a spray bottle for shoes and clothes. Nonetheless I ask for visitor shoes to be left outside. In the house I just use a simple Earth disinfectant when cleaning floors. I'm conscious about where I take my other dogs but I don't get too obsessed. If my dogs - including the Mama - don't get out for some intense exercise there's too much pent up energy. And that's not good for anyone. 

Thanks, I'm set up in the laundry so easy clean lino floors but wasn't sure what to use. Earth sounds good. My girl still needs to be kept busy and active too but I can manage that in the backyard with some games. Thankfully my boy is a lazy plod so will be happy to hang at home for a bit too.

My whelping box is also in the living room. Greyhounds are very happy to not do much so that's easy peasy. Limited visitors before 4 weeks of age.  I take my pups out into the front yard from a young age as well. No shoes in the house and no touching the pups until older then 3 weeks..

I have a similar set up to TSD either in my office or in the family room and I also cover the surrounding pen with dust sheets so it is like a den and so no one can see in or out.  I like to position the pen so that the bitch has easy access to the outside without going through the whole house (they can have quite a messy discharge sometimes).  I also always leave a night light on so that Mama can check on her babies during the night and I can peep in without disturbing her.

If the bitch is in good health and parvo isn't going around, I wouldn't worry much about disinfection.  Normal cleanliness is quite adequate.  Just be prepared to wash a bunch of whatever you put in the whelping box, and clean up after spills, in case she does some out of the box whelping.  Nature is good at keeping infections away from pups.  Far more pups are squished to death by their mothers than killed by infections.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rebanne said:

My whelping box is also in the living room. Greyhounds are very happy to not do much so that's easy peasy. Limited visitors before 4 weeks of age.  I take my pups out into the front yard from a young age as well. No shoes in the house and no touching the pups until older then 3 weeks..

Thanks Rebanne, is the no touching pups for visitors only? I'm going to be hard pressed to keep my 12 yr old from wanting to give some loving :) I have told her though that she can only hold the puppies for the first couple of weeks while I'm weighing or cleaning. I'm not sure how much mum will tolerate us as well as this is her first litter.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JRG said:

I have a similar set up to TSD either in my office or in the family room and I also cover the surrounding pen with dust sheets so it is like a den and so no one can see in or out.  I like to position the pen so that the bitch has easy access to the outside without going through the whole house (they can have quite a messy discharge sometimes).  I also always leave a night light on so that Mama can check on her babies during the night and I can peep in without disturbing her.

Thanks JRG, I've thought about the den aspect and will try to rig something up, and like the night light idea

6 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

If the bitch is in good health and parvo isn't going around, I wouldn't worry much about disinfection.  Normal cleanliness is quite adequate.  Just be prepared to wash a bunch of whatever you put in the whelping box, and clean up after spills, in case she does some out of the box whelping.  Nature is good at keeping infections away from pups.  Far more pups are squished to death by their mothers than killed by infections.

Thanks, I'm trying not to be too anal about it but feel I'll probably be hyper vigilant the first week till I'm a bit more confident in her mummying skills

1 hour ago, Appleisle said:

Thanks Rebanne, is the no touching pups for visitors only? I'm going to be hard pressed to keep my 12 yr old from wanting to give some loving :) I have told her though that she can only hold the puppies for the first couple of weeks while I'm weighing or cleaning. I'm not sure how much mum will tolerate us as well as this is her first litter.

I have some excited young girls who are neighbours who are itching to see puppies. I can tell I will have to be very strict with them. Me, on the other hand, will be open slather on the pups from the time they are born, as much as Mum is comfortable.