Two Dogs 1 Crate

PANDI-GIRL

With 2 dogs would it be a comfort  to share the same crate at night , for warmth as well, or don't dogs like doing that.

I put pandi  in her soft crate at night  door closed, next to my bed, she sleeps all night & loves it in her bed. 

I was thinking with my new pup when it sleeps thru the night ,i would let them both share a bigger crate so they could cuddle together. :sleep:

Thanks for any replys

I think it depends on the dogs, their relationship & what you actually use the crate for. I know lots of dogs snuggle in with their "siblings", but many would also prefer their own space. The new pup might hate being transferred from its own bed (or having Pandi in its bed). Depending on where you are it might slso be too hot in summer.

I'd be planning on keeping them in their own beds & seeing what happened - not the other way around.

• Like 5

I think I'd get two crates. Especially because you'd want pup & Pandi to have some alone time, at least for the first while. 

Also handy if you ever need to separate them (ie when they get the grumps at one another, if you are giving them treats unsupervised, if one's sick etc.) 

And sleeping on its own would probably increase the pup's confidence and independence and decrease the likelyhood of separation anxiety. 

Mine aren't crated, they just have a bed each in the loungeroom and will sleep on their own beds at night. They will snuggle in front of the fire, and on the back step during the day, but they like some space. Monty is VERY attached to Scrappi, even though he was 6months old when they met, he gets separation anxiety when they are apart and will fret, which makes life difficult. 

You could always get those crates that you can separate or join to create a bigger crate, and then if they turn out to be besties who love to snuggle then they can share, yet have space to get away. :) 

• Like 2

:) It sounds cute ..BUT  ;) 

puppies will often play with a soft crate ..a nibble here, a scratch here ... and then ..Oops   ;) 
if puppy toilets in crate ..you will have a wet/dirty dog ...
they may wake each other 
pandi might NOT enjoy someone else in her very private space ...

• Like 3

I have got 5 different crates , buying for pandi was very exciting :laugh:

I was thinking to let them share after the new pup is not needing to toilet at night , and a good sleeper. I will wait and see how much they like each other first.

I close the door on pandi's  crate  or she would be on my bed in a minute :laugh:    i move around a lot & don't  think it would be safe, she could go flying off the bed in the middle of the night .

• Like 1

My adult dog would have been mortified once he was about 18mths to have to share his safe sleeping space with a pup! 

Mind you, he can have a tendency to be the fun police at times anyway. He'd be super offended if a pup thought they could sleep with him :laugh: he gets along really well with pups otherwise.

• Like 2

I find my dogs like to sleep apart. The pup was crated as a baby. When big enough, he graduated to his own bed. Both were at the bottom of my bed, but the cocker was mean to him and he was a fidget, so his bed got moved to next to the top of my bed where I could keep an eye on him. He does sneak on my bed occasionally and sleeps on my pillows or on a vacant bit of doona... So on my very limited experience, I wouldn't crate together, I'd give them a choice and see what they decided. Saw a post on a westie page with the dogs all wanting to squish into one bed, so never say never......

• Like 4