6 Month old Kelpie suddenly scared of frissbe.

willg

Posted this in general but realised it should be in this. 

I have a 6 month year old Kelpie (3 months in pic). She's well trained and sits, drops, stays, comes, heels, gives things back etc. all really well. I got her at 8 weeks old and played frissbe with her everyday since then.

She used to love it and would go for an hour twice a day. But lately around when i started working fulltime she has lost interest. I don’t think this has anything to do with it. She doesn't destroy the yard or anything like that so I don't think she minds, she has an older dog and a cat too keep her company

She used to get all excited when I said frissbe but when we get down to the park or beach if I throw it she will just stare at me and get really timid not want to come or anything. She acts like she is really scared of it. If I sit down shell nestle in me looking really afraid and facing away from wherever the frissbe is. No matter how much I try to jump around and and get her to play with it she doesn't want anything to do with it. I have no idea what it could be, she’s acting like she’s had a really bad experience with the frissbe which she hasn’t. I have no idea what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0552-min.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dog's enter into fear phases... at 6 months she could be experiencing the situation where something that she was once very comfortable with is now causing her some anxiety.   

Essentially, for one reason or another the dog is making a choice not to play with the Frisbee - please be ok with that.   Looking away is most likely a calming signal, it's causing stress for her to have the Frisbee around.  Just let it be and maybe one day she'll choose to play with the Frisbee again - but let her choose, dog's make good choices if we let them  :-)

Edited by Akay
  • Like 2

To be honest I'm more concerned that you've been playing frisbee with a dog < 6 months for 2 hours a day! I have working Springers and I would never recommend this to tire a dog out. Highly active youngsters can do themselves a lot of damage chasing balls and frisbees repetively. It is extremely bad for their growing joints and tendons. Personally I would be taking the dog for a physical exam with an extremely knowledgeable vet and/or a physio. It's possible that she has injured herself whilst chasing it and is in no hurry to do it again. Either way please relegate the frisbee to the recycling bin. Mental stimulation and controlled retrieves (Gundog) style are a much better way to tire your youngster. 

• Like 5