Mange??

ClayBen

Hiya,

I have a 9 month old Stafford pup that has some patches of thinning hair on both sided of face.

They are only really noticeable from certain angles and in strong light - he seems oblivious to them.

Not sure if being too paranoid, but was wondering if they could be a slight case of puppy mange.

Pics below are the hair when viewed from below(hair loss clearly visable) and from the side(only slightly noticeable).

Just looking for pointers from more experienced dog owners, but planning to visit vet if gets any worse.

Cheers

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

We've dealt with both with our staff/Amstaff Monty haha. 

Only way to confirm demodex mites is by a skin scraping at the vets. 

Monty had a tiny bit of demodex and developed a small secondary infection but we were on to it pretty quick and it cleared up with treatment within a few months. 

Also he has some patches of thin hair from scars (poking himself with sticks etc, a game of bitey face going too far, etc...) 

It could be either, or something else, but do get him checked for mange just in case. :) 

For reference, here's Monty with mange & secondary infection, it popped up pretty quick

IMG_4813.thumb.PNG.9e95ffb2825d2b310c7333c12a147179.PNG

IMG_4814.thumb.PNG.a43c6bb0fb6fc6c7079af008a376d42e.PNG

Spots that came up after he was on ivermec 

IMG_4815.thumb.PNG.db6e83ded1c32dced7d39a8b872489a6.PNG

Edited by Scrappi&Monty
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

He could also have shoved his head into something causing small wounds/abrasions... as the first photo looks to have at the site of the larger balding patch...

Staffords are inquisitive buggers... *grin*

T.

I had similar thoughts.

• Like 1

Hey all, 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

I think it could be a case of localised puppy mange as have since found a small circle on both front legs. None of the patches are completely bare though - all still have a light covering of hairs.

As I understand it - this can be quite common with growing puppies and they CAN grow out of it without intervention? It has been like this for two weeks now with no worsening.

I'd prefer to see if he can ride it out naturally - but not sure what is considered acceptable and what is considered in need of treatment? It doesnt seem inflamed or causing him much issue - and can only be seen on close inspection and certain angles(I have also never seen mange before, so have no reference).

I think his diet is pretty good - combo Ivory Coat and BARF - supplemented with Omegas and Protexin - and is otherwise healthy and VERY active.

No financial issue going to vet - I'm just wary that he might be prescribed something harsh for a transitory issue that could self resolve without intervention:confused:

Cheers,

Ben

On the farm, we used to treat demodex with sump oil and sulphur powder- mix into a paste and smear it on... it effectively smothers the mites and the sulphur promotes new hair growth.

Sarcopses and other nasties can be effectively treated with Revolution spot on...

Ringworm can be treated with Canestan - get the once a day stuff from the chemist, and it works faster too...

All the above can be sourced without needing a vet... but if you want a confirmed diagnosis of exactly what it is, a vet visit would be first point of call on my list...

T.

• Like 1

I don't know how it would go without a vet check, if it heals up within a fortnight or so, don't bother, but if it gets worse at all I'd go in for a skin scraping & checkup. 

I'm pretty sure most types of mange (both demodectic & sarcoptic) are pretty likely to end up with a secondary infection.

If he smells weird at all, I'd take him in :laugh: Monty had a whiff of smelly fish & cornchips...! :confused:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

I don't know how it would go without a vet check, if it heals up within a fortnight or so, don't bother, but if it gets worse at all I'd go in for a skin scraping & checkup. 

I'm pretty sure most types of mange (both demodectic & sarcoptic) are pretty likely to end up with a secondary infection.

If he smells weird at all, I'd take him in :laugh: Monty had a whiff of smelly fish & cornchips...! :confused:

Yeah - he doesn't smell or seem itchy- neither is skin red.I'll probably give it another week as it doesn't seem to be getting worse.

If it does - straight off to the vets!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tdierikx said:

On the farm, we used to treat demodex with sump oil and sulphur powder- mix into a paste and smear it on... it effectively smothers the mites and the sulphur promotes new hair growth.

Uh.  We used to use sulphur on the horses to promote hair re-growth too - but never on the face because it's photosensitive. I'd proceed with caution there. 

I'm with the others in thinking it could be demodex. What you are calling puppy mange is demodectic mange caused by an over run of the demodex parasite. It can be often found in young dogs and puppies because their immune system is still immature. But make no mistake it can get very nasty very quickly. Staffords don't have the best immune systems as it is, so if it is demodex, what you are seeing is definitely something to be mindful of going forward and may present in other ways throughout...such as skin allergies and other immunology issues.

It could be a graze or contact allergy, particularly with it being closer to the mouth than eyes which is demodex usually appears first.

Have you checked your yard of other places your dogs visits for wandering dew?

I wouldn't be waiting, I'd be getting it checked out, best you know what it is.

• Like 5

Hi all,

Just an update as back from vet.

We did a scrape and confirmed demodex. (We had to sedate him to get the scrape as he thought three humans trying to hold him down was a great game!)

The vet has proscribed Nexgard as she says the demodex is only mild and she has had good success using with other patients - and a bit of topical Neocort if he looks like scratching scrape site.

Thank you all for your words of advice and gently pushing me towards getting to the vets!

Much more relieved now that I know what we are dealing with and we can start treatment.

Cheers - Ben

Edited by Clay2017
  • Like 8

Glad to hear you've got it sorted :) 

Hopefully he clears up fast! Apparently it's quite common in staffy type breeds (compared to other breeds) 

Let us know how the Nexguard goes, would be interested to find out. Our rather old fashioned vet did ivermec injections (pretty sure) but then she had to go away for a few weeks so she gave us oral ivermec to put in his food daily for a few weeks. (+ Medicated baths for the infection) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Starkehre said:

Staffords don't have the best immune systems as it is,

Is that a reason why it's common for dogs with demodectic mange to be staffy type breeds? I hadn't heard about staffords having low immune systems before, that's interesting. 

Yep - will keep updated with his progess.

She said that as it was only a mild localised case - she would prefer Nexgard/Bravecto rather than harsher injections/dips.(She mentioned that from experience,she found Nexgard better than Bravecto).

Fingers crossed.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

Is that a reason why it's common for dogs with demodectic mange to be staffy type breeds? I hadn't heard about staffords having low immune systems before, that's interesting. 

I don't know that I'd necessarily say low as such. More like poor and/or compromised at times.

Rottweilers are another breed with less than ideal immune systems particularly as juveniles, hence they are quite susceptible to contracting parvo as puppies where other breeds or individual dogs may not.

• Like 2

Yay Ben, so glad you have it all sorted and a plan to move forward. I'm sure it will start to settle down over the coming weeks.

Take this time to do plenty of research into avoiding over vaccinating and drugging when and where possible. Also perhaps look at a raw diet if you have not already. You need to build this pup's immune system and try to prevent it taking any backward steps :)

I hope the vet explained to you that all dogs carry demodex at all times. They live on all dogs. When we see the skin being affected and the hair loss this is because the demodex have increased in numbers and are taking over. This occurs when the dog's immune system is compromised. This can be happen when a bitch comes into season (so hormonal based) or after vaccinations, cortisone or contact with any pesticides or other poisons or disease. Sometimes it is impossible to find any reason (idiopathic) but just be aware that there is an immunology issue there. Your pup may grow out of as usually happens when pups mature or there may be some immunology based problems on going. Some common ones are are yeasty ear fungal infections, skin allergies, hot spots.

• Like 6