Little Dogs and Bones

Loving my Oldies

One of my hobby horses (should that be hobby dogs LOL) is that little dogs are still dogs and should be treated as such in terms of diet, emotional enrichment, play, etc etc.  In the interests of education, here is my little foster dog, Stella, who has been chewing on this bone for over and hour.  She brought it in from outside (sadly for the aroma in my house, but at least she is staying on the bedding :laugh: :laugh:).  Stella weighs 4 kgs, is about to turn 4 years old and when she started on the bone it was half the size of her head.   

36989666085_d00dbceef1_n.jpgI

36989663545_c6f7cb9500_n.jpgIM

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling
  • Like 7

Funny that you have posted this this morning  DDD, as I have just given my tibbie a bit of kangaroo tail, first time so I've been  a bit nervous. 5 yrs old and 6 kg and I agree with you re little dogs. I keep watching Cherry as she's getting to the end and I don't want her to swallow all of what's left

• Like 2

@JenL  Dogs love roo tails.  I buy all my goodies from ClearTreats in Queensland.  100% Australian and no preservatives etc.   And, yes, it can be scary, I agree.  Stella is still going on her bone and there isn’t much left of it :laugh: :laugh:.  I find that when all the meat and sinew are gone, they will still play with the little bit of bone that is left.   

24 minutes ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

@JenL  Dogs love roo tails.  I buy all my goodies from ClearTreats in Queensland.  100% Australian and no preservatives etc.   And, yes, it can be scary, I agree.  Stella is still going on her bone and there isn’t much left of it :laugh: :laugh:.  I find that when all the meat and sinew are gone, they will still play with the little bit of bone that is left.   

We have a pet shop in Fremantle where I can get fresh meat which is really good. Do dogs eat all the bone?

DDD, how did you put @JenL in? Also I have tried uploading a phoot from my PC and it wont work so was wondering how you do it.  Im fairly new to all this.

1 hour ago, JenL said:

We have a pet shop in Fremantle where I can get fresh meat which is really good. Do dogs eat all the bone?

DDD, how did you put @JenL in? Also I have tried uploading a phoot from my PC and it wont work so was wondering how you do it.  Im fairly new to all this.

LOL @JenL, you are asking someone who has to ask over and over again regarding photos.  Go to the Dear ..... thread in Off Topic right at the end you will see some responses to my calls for help help help.   I used to use photobucket but they are now charging an arm and a leg to post photos to third party sites, eg DOL.  I registered with Flickr and after some trial and error and help from Persephone and Scottsmum am now happily transferring photos.  You can’t share from your PC as they are too big.  Applications such as Flickr resize so you can post.   The instructions from Scottsmum helped me, but I think it also depends on what system you use.  

As for eating all the bone, sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Depends on the bone I think.  The one that Stella was devouring this morning has disappeared courtesy of Orla.  

To get the @JenL, just type the @ sign and the first few letters of the DOLer’s name and the menu of names drops down.  Click on the name of the DOLer you want to see your post.  You have to click on it, you just can’t type the name.    

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Jenl can't access off topic yet I think. There is a section of the forum for help/trouble shooting. Read through that and if you need, post there for help :)

Re:bones, my mini schnauzer max loves his lamb or pork ribs a couple of times a week. I'm mean and feed them frozen, even in winter, cos then they last him a little longer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mackiemad said:

Jenl can't access off topic yet I think. There is a section of the forum for help/trouble shooting. Read through that and if you need, post there for help :)

Re:bones, my mini schnauzer max loves his lamb or pork ribs a couple of times a week. I'm mean and feed them frozen, even in winter, cos then they last him a little longer.

Duh!!  Silly me.  Sorry @JenL.   

This is copy of instructions from Scottsmum which helped me to finally post photos from Flickr.  It was easy to register on Flickr.  Bit of trial and error, but finally made it.  I was concerned about having my photos “public”, but that is the only way (I think) that the following works.   

Once the photos are uploaded, click on “you” then on “photostream”, find the image you want then click on it.  

Click on “share” arrow - a slightly curved arrow pointing to the right.    

This takes you to a box with the default Flickr name of the Image highlighted with another menu along the top of the box.  Select BBC and a list of sizes will drop down.  They differ as to which photo I have selected, but generally the one 360 x 240 (can’t remember exactly) works well.  

Click on the name of the image and select “copy”.  

Go back to the thread in DOL where you want to paste the photo and click “paste”.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Spotted Devil said:

Permanent foster sounds better than foster failure :laugh: Dizzy is now a permanent foster :rofl: 

Now that is plain rude :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  

:o :o :o

In a moment of sheer foolishness, I said to the rescuer of my fosters Benji, Stevie and Minnie that Tamar had really blossomed having Stevie and Benji around.  Jeune and Bunter are happy just to sleep the days away with an occasional wander down the back yard and a sunbake.  I said I needed an older dog around Tamar’s age, but still puppy like in behaviour and she said she had just the dog.   So it was arranged that I would collect [then called Chloe] from her current foster carer who lived in a tiny unit with four dogs, no balconies and had to take them all down to the complex’s car park for a run around.  I was told that this little dog was very playful, loved her ball, etc etc.  Anyway, I nearly died when I saw her and although I wanted another geriatric dog like a hole in the head, I couldn’t leave her behind.   

The rescuer did offer to take her, but I didn’t have the heart to do that to either of them LOL.  Chloe, now called Orla, is on meds, her arthritis is being treated, her dreadful ear infections are cleared up, and she is as happy as a pig in mud - shame about the carpet of newspaper I have to put out every night :( :(  and Tamar still doesn’t have a playmate though :cry: :cry:.   However, that’s the way the cards fall.  

• Like 2

@Dame Danny's Darling thanks DDD I did it

4 hours ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

Duh!!  Silly me.  Sorry @JenL.   

Once the photos are uploaded, click on “you” then on “photostream”, find the image you want then click on it.  

Click on “share” arrow - a slightly curved arrow pointing to the right.    

This takes you to a box with the default Flickr name of the Image highlighted with another menu along the top of the box.  Select BBC and a list of sizes will drop down.  They differ as to which photo I have selected, but generally the one 360 x 240 (can’t remember exactly) works well.  

Click on the name of the image and select “copy”.  

Go back to the thread in DOL where you want to paste the photo and click “paste”.  

I don't have flicker, just photos on the pc, but I do have an iPad so will just fiddle around on both All so new. 

4 hours ago, mackiemad said:

Thanks Mackiemaid I will check it out.

38 minutes ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

Paper is fine.  Biodegrades.  

Yes, you are right. My problem is that I don't have enough newspapers! 

Dizzy likes his new title by the way lol...does being a perm foster from 12 weeks old count?

By the way, I hope you didn't take my original post as being serious - I was joking because I have a foster failure. 

Edited by The Spotted Devil
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JenL said:

I don't have flicker, just photos on the pc, but I do have an iPad so will just fiddle around on both All so new. 

Not at all familiar with ipads - but you need a way (an app I presume) to reduce the size (quality) actually so they're small enough to attach.  As it says at the bottom of the box where you type your post - max total size = 0.98mb. Small.  Very small. :)

• Like 1