Paralysis ticks. Yard treatment? Preventatives for dog?

Pailin

My poor girl has had a nasty paralysis tick that she could  only have picked up out of our very own yard. She seems to be recovering, not out of the woods yet. 

My vet recommended Bravecto. The reviews and complications people seem to be having with the product terrifies me. What do people recommend to make sure she never gets another one? Will pair with daily checking,  happy to try topicals or collars but need them to be cat safe for our cat (not for use on our cat but they share the house).

I'm also looking for an option to treat the yard with. Vet said there isnt really anything that can be done for the yard but thought someone on here might have an idea. It is tiny, suburbia and doesnt have a single tree or shrub. 

Thabks in advance.

Keep your grass short during tick season... as short as you can keep it.

Also be aware that you can bring things back from your own travels... one of my dogs managed to get a tick that had hitched a ride home with me from the northern beaches where I'd been bushwalking with a friend... luckily it was only a grass tick, as she had a rather nasty allergic reaction to it... grrr!

T.

4 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Be careful of internet scaremongering. Correlation isn't the same as causation.

Agreed.  Have a look at snopes.com.  They rate the Bravecto danger as "unproven".  I've been very satisfied with Bravecto, as have a large number of people.

Edited by sandgrubber
Typo
  • Like 2

I am genuinely not trying to stir trouble and I do realise that some adverse reactions are common. The sheer number of reports from owners of dogs who have reacted poorly to the Bravecto is still really scary. It really feels like I am caught between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand this tick could have killed her, watching her struggle with her balance and be so unwell was heart wrenching and gutted us all. On the other hand, if I give her this product to try and keep her safe from the ticks (fleas are not an issue) and she has a reaction I don't know that I could ever forgive myself.

It is concerning that if she reacts to the Bravecto it will remain in her system for 3-4months. No way of backtracking. I have been reading so much online recently...thinking I may go the route of a tick collar and daily checks. I will know not to 100% trust the collar alone, hopefully daily checks and being more aware of the risk to her in the new area we have moved to will be enough. At least with the collar I can remove it instantly if a reaction occurs. It is really scary to read the online reviews and be so indecisive. A tick could kill her, the stuff to prevent the tick could kill her... I just want to wrap her in bubble wrap and never let her outside again.

Keep in mind people only go and complain somewhere online if they've had an issue - the huge amounts of people with no issue don't bother setting the record straight. With any medication fere could be a reaction, it's just usually very unlikely unless there is an underlying sensitivity/health concern.

I think you've been scared by what you read and you're not listening to either your vet or the posters here. Correlation is not causation. How quickly did the owners go to the vet? What where they prepared to pay for diagnostics? What was the time lag between taking the preventative and a reaction? What else had the dog been doing that day, and where had the dog been doing it?

Bravecto isn't the only consumable flea and tick prevention out there, nexguard and simparica also prevent fleas and ticks. While you said he's covered for fleas you can always play with his other preventative medication and use one of these.

In any case, he's your dog so you do what feels right for you. Just try not to let fear drive decisions, in my experience decisions made from fear aren't usually the best ones. Do some more research on the other products etc and then make your decision.

I have been giving my two border collies Nexgard for about three years now....no reaction & have never in that time found any ticks on them even though we live out in the bush in a bad tick area.  It is a monthly tablet.

Mackiemad- You are right. I have been scared and that fear is not rational or allowing me to listen with an open mind to the vet and people on here. It is why I am so conflicted and struggling with the choice so much. If you look at the website productreview.com .au and read the reviews that have been left on there for the Bravecto it is easy to see why people are scared. It is not just a couple, there are a LOT of stories on there and I do know that people complain much more than they praise but it is concerning. Thank you for your posts and thoughts. I appreciate your time.

Sheena- Thanks, I think Nexguard would be a possible option for us and will consider it carefully. Thank you.