Dietary question for dog will allergies

brindale

Just wondering if anyone can give some suggestions as we are at our wits end.  We have a bullmastiff who has stomach and digestion issues as a result his motions are not firm and these haven't been correct for months.  The issue seems to have arisen but it might be a coincidence, that I purchased some dried green tripe and since then he's had issues.  He's currently on beef and brown rice, he doesn't seem to be able to tolerate biscuits, pasta, cuscus.  We have tried most meats, we are trying to get horse as we have been told it's good for dogs with allergies.  We have had his bloods done twice and the come back fine.  Oh forgot to say we have tried probiotics and natural yoghurt as well.

Any suggestions will be greatfully appreciated.

A few questions - Which probiotics have you tried? And why are you feeding a dog pasta and couscous, is it important to you that he eat such things? Also has he ever been to a vet for this, to make sure there is no underlying problem like giardia? 

Edited by Diva

Diva the OP said that his bloods had been checked twice and came back all fine.

OP I would leave off with the probiotics and yoghurt for the time being.

I usually feed dogs with these issues with just chicken and rice making sure that I the starch water from the rice is a part of the meal.

Prime100 do a crocodile and tapioca range of products that are really highly rated for dogs with allergies and stomach issues, but can be a bit pricey for a big dog. However, it is ideal for an exclusion diet as it's a novel protein and carb and once stomach issues have settled you can slowly add back in other protein and grains one at a time so you know what's triggering the off tummy and poos.

We've got an amstaff with a plethora of food allergies (grain, corn, beef, chicken, pork) and find fish based, gaining free foods to be a godsend.

We primarily feed meals for mutts salmon and sardine but have recently found he can have their duck and turkey as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

In case it helps - My dog is allergic to beef and intolerant of grains (including rice) and dairy too.  His digestive issues didn't clear up until he'd been off all red meat, grains and dairy for several weeks - apparently it can take a while for the gut to settle down after being inflamed for so long.  

Probiotics (e.g. Protexin) didn't seem to help - in fact the opposite.

You have to keep it simple, religiously stick to the one diet for at least a month and be patient.  

Like Taliecat I've found fish-based grain-free diets to be best (e.g. Taste of the Wild salmon, sardines).

He can now also have poultry and lamb - but we took a long time to slowly reintroduce lamb.  Any exposure to grains or beef causes upset - and nearly all of the cheaper commercial treats and dry foods contain both!

Also keep in mind that testing for Giardia etc. can be difficult to get right.

Good luck - it's so distressing when they're unwell for so long and we don't know what the problem is!