Removing Dog Knots/ Matts

Caitlin888

Hi, We brush our dog every day to ensure his fur doesn't get massive knots and matts in it as once they form we have trouble getting them out. However we were away for 10 days and so our dog stayed with another family. He returned to us with lots of massive matts in his fur and knots, unfortunately we cannot get any out and he has to go to the groomer to get dematted and have a full clip to remove them. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove them yourself? 

Depends on how bad matts are .

A good groomer can show you techniques to brush/comb them out but if they have reached the worse case scenario then it's not fair on the dog to attempt to brush them out due to the pain it causes.

Please don't chop them out either ,you can splice through knots with scissors to break them up,use a dematting comb but again some knots will not brush out without causing trauma to the dog 

I think some of the DOLers suggested using a children's detangler.

When I first bought Saffy I used 'Argon oil Heat Protecting Spray' that I bought at the Reject shop, it worked pretty well. If the dog has knots and matts don't bath him before you groom as it'll just compound the problem and it'll be impossible to get them out.

• Like 1

Some of my schnauzer pups that come to me for grooming do come with knots and matts. Some extremely bad. I use a good brush with a lot of care and patience and most do come out, it takes time but in extreme cases I find that yes you do just have to chop them out. And then I try to tell the owners as nicely as possible to "please spend a few moments each week brushing your dog." 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/09/2017 at 8:18 PM, Dogsfevr said:

Please don't chop them out either ,you can splice through knots with scissors to break them up,use a dematting comb but again some knots will not brush out without causing trauma to the dog 

Why is chopping them out bad?

47 minutes ago, kamuzz said:

Why is chopping them out bad?

Chopping them out isn't really so bad for the coat, it's only hair, it usually grows back in pretty well........but us groomers see so many home groomed dogs with all manner of injury from owners trying to chop knots out. Often owners don't keep the skin taught so the skin bunches up into the cutting instrument, or they pull the knot up and don't realise they've pulled the skin up with it, resulting in a particularly nasty wound....and often the owner doesn't understand how easy it is to cut fine areas like armpits, flanks, ears etc. 

Im not into excessive dematting which can really upset a dog and cause brush burns or injuries from blades de matting tools/ rakes  

If the coat is really matted up the most humane course is to clip the hair off at the level of new growth underneath  the matting, best done by an experienced groomer if the owner doesn't have quality tools/clippers or the experience to use them safely

honestly over the years I have seen some heartbreaking injuries inflicted by loving owners with the best of intentions 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...