Vet on Qantas flights ?

Trishm

Not even on international travel do they have a "resident" vet, they have no way of getting to the cargo area where the dogs are.

Never heard of it here either, having shipped puppies and dogs, they are put in the cargo and that is where they stay until they reach their destination

Agree with dogsfevr , I too would say definitely not true.

• Like 1

Perhaps you're confused with how companies like JetPets do a vet check before & after a flight when they get to the airport? 

This is on their website: 

• Jetpets Resident Vets on staff to ensure your pet is healthy and fit for their journey
  • Jetpets Transit Loungeaccess, for your pet to have a stretch and relax out of their crate before their flight

On a plane they can't get to the cargo in flight so I highly doubt there'd be one on board. 

Scrappi was flown to us with

QANTAS freight (I think) as a 12wk pup from SAFE Carnarvon. He went well. :) 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty
  • Like 1

I couldn't see the point of it either, knowing that there is no way the Vet could get to the animals during the flight, but someone I know has been told this by the breeder who is flying the dog over. This is just one of the several things that hasn't sounded right in this transaction :(

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Trishm said:

I couldn't see the point of it either, knowing that there is no way the Vet could get to the animals during the flight, but someone I know has been told this by the breeder who is flying the dog over. This is just one of the several things that hasn't sounded right in this transaction :(

That would be a red flag :eek:

• Like 3

Does sound dodgy .. especially if it's a domestic flight.    Definitely needs checking out .. unless it was said to try to calm down a potentially hysterical buyer,    (Thinking of my dear Dad who told me as a frightened kid in a big thunderstorm, that the house was safe cos it had a lightning rod.)   But not a good start.

It isn't logical. Imagine the cost of employing someone to sit in an aircraft going back and forth, and not being able to do anything anyway because the animals are in the cargo hold with your suitcases and cargo? 

I say bullshit. 

Edited by ~Anne~
  • Like 4

I don't know for sure - but agree with Anne that it is not logical.   

Just think of the costs - if every flight that had a dog in cargo had a vet onboard, then it would cost many hundreds, if not a $1000 or more , to send a dog from Adelaide to Melbourne.  There would be the cost of the seat, the wages of the vet - twice - as I am sure the vet would need to get home :-)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I tend to think it's unlikely, but something else I was told years ago that I wonder about the truth of is that when flying horses if the horse starts to really play up to the point of becoming dangerous they shoot it. But I'm thinking how could you safely shoot a horse that was flinging itself around?  The danger would be that you would miss and shoot a hole in the aircraft.

does anyone know if it is true?

1 hour ago, Kirislin said:

I tend to think it's unlikely, but something else I was told years ago that I wonder about the truth of is that when flying horses if the horse starts to really play up to the point of becoming dangerous they shoot it. But I'm thinking how could you safely shoot a horse that was flinging itself around?  The danger would be that you would miss and shoot a hole in the aircraft.

does anyone know if it is true?

No idea if it is. But seems unlikely. I mean if you're flying a horse chances are its crazy valuable & for more reasons than to (just) be a companion animal. Surely they'd sedate at best.