Vet on Qantas flights ?

Trishm

1 hour ago, Scottsmum said:

No idea if it is. But seems unlikely. I mean if you're flying a horse chances are its crazy valuable & for more reasons than to (just) be a companion animal. Surely they'd sedate at best. 

I've researched a bit more and it has happened but not clear how they managed to do it. Markham was to compete in the Tokyo Olympics and was euthanised because he panicked. I don't know anymore details though.

I don't think horses fly on normal passenger flights, my recollection is seeing them on the news come off modified freight planes with grooms travelling with them , and yes a vet on board. Bit different to a dog in the cargo hold of a passenger flight. 

Edited by Diva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kirislin said:

I've researched a bit more and it has happened but not clear how they managed to do it. Markham was to compete in the Tokyo Olympics and was euthanised because he panicked. I don't know anymore details though.

Horrible for many reasons :(

This is a case of 'being told' to raise hope and appease you, vs, being able to read the facts for yourself. It doesn't make economic sense, having looked somewhat extensively into flying with Qantas recently or other flights, I haven't seen this (and I do read small print), nor have those I have spoken with, who have flown, confirmed this.

Good luck and hope the dog is ok in this transaction.

@Kirislin when they shoot horses they use a bolt gun so there are no bullets flying around. A bolt gun is held firmly against the skull and is one of the most humane and quickest methods of euthanasia. I do not know the ins and outs of Markham's case but it is likely if he 'went off' and sustained an injury that was irreparable, eg fractured hock or shoulder and euthanasia was the only option then it may have been safer and quicker to 'shoot' the horse with a bolt gun rather than administer lethabarb.

A few years ago now we had a racehorse rupture a tendon in a race in Melbourne.....we live in NSW. The horse would not have been able to stand the lengthy travel back to our property and we couldn't afford the thousands of dollars for him to be treated and rehabilitated in Victoria to come home and be an unrideable pet. We elected to have him euthanised and we told it was by bolt gun.

The advantage of bolt gun is the animal can be used for pet food. I know the local zoo in Canberra laments the fact there are no vets in this area who euth large animals with a bolt gun.....they all use letha barb around here.

This is how horses fly, by the way!

http://www.irt.com/irt-international-transport-of-horses/

Edited by trifecta
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/10/2017 at 6:16 PM, Dogsfevr said:

Markham was if I remember correctly put down via drugs not gunshot after he went mental in the plane and damaging the stall and the roof 

On 02/10/2017 at 9:01 PM, trifecta said:

@Kirislin when they shoot horses they use a bolt gun so there are no bullets flying around. A bolt gun is held firmly against the skull and is one of the most humane and quickest methods of euthanasia. I do not know the ins and outs of Markham's case but it is likely if he 'went off' and sustained an injury that was irreparable, eg fractured hock or shoulder and euthanasia was the only option then it may have been safer and quicker to 'shoot' the horse with a bolt gun rather than administer lethabarb.

A few years ago now we had a racehorse rupture a tendon in a race in Melbourne.....we live in NSW. The horse would not have been able to stand the lengthy travel back to our property and we couldn't afford the thousands of dollars for him to be treated and rehabilitated in Victoria to come home and be an unrideable pet. We elected to have him euthanised and we told it was by bolt gun.

The advantage of bolt gun is the animal can be used for pet food. I know the local zoo in Canberra laments the fact there are no vets in this area who euth large animals with a bolt gun.....they all use letha barb around here.

This is how horses fly, by the way!

http://www.irt.com/irt-international-transport-of-horses/

I always wonder how they manage to get close to a horse that is going bonkers with either a needle, gun or bolt gun.