Water bowl for bearded dogs

Boronia

Does anyone know of a stainless steel option for a drinking bowl?

Zara gets her beard soaking wet when she drinks and it'll only encourage yeast to inhabit it. I also find that I need to put in fresh water every time she drinks as the bowl has hooglies floating round in it.

Something like this but in stainless and not too OTT price-wise

https://www.amazon.com/Slopper-Stopper-Dripless-Water-Bowl/dp/B009VNMP50

her little beard is already stained

59c1b9de51626_Screenshotfrom2017-09-2010-43-25.png.fa9b895f78e2091351060f8a294bb746.png

I have a stainless steel dripless lid which fits on top of a bowl.. I vaguely remember buying years ago it at a show as a  puppy feeder adaptor or something, so check out puppy feeders as well when searching.

Another suggestion is to look at pet drinking fountains rather than bowls - stainless steel ones are available. Lapping from a small stream of water rather than out of a bowl might solve your problem.

• Like 1

I have one of these K9 Cruiser bowl.    My puppy loves to empty normal water bowls by digging the water out ..so far this is pretty resistant.   Don't know if it would suit your needs though.

I also have one of these Road Refresher bowl, but I find them really awkward to get the top bit off.  (And it's not puppy paddling proof and momster puppy can actually tip it over .. it's in her crate in the car.

The cruiser bowls and similar will not stop the beard getting wet as there designed for being good if they tip or for long ears.

I have the cruiser for my long eared dogs but we also have dogs with beards and they get.

The drinking fountain nozzle would be the only real option aka rabbit water bottle 

• Like 1

Here is an interesting article about using water bottles from a shih tzu breeder: water bottle.
Rabbit drinking bottles are available in up to 800ml sizes, drinking tube is stainless steel. They are not expensive.

The pet drinking fountains are expensive and most come with replaceable filters etc. I was thinking that perhaps one of the tabletop ornamental fountains (which are quite cheap) might do the trick? You will find the one pictured on ebay for under $25 but check out your local department stores and home decor stores as well.
-PAXP-deijE.gif-PAXP-deijE.gif59c3379101452_indoorwaterfountain.thumb.jpg.5331d28233c4529f92bfb02c6f7d9b9f.jpg

LOL how to insert a picture has changed as well! Took me a while to work it out! 

Thanks RP,  I have to go to Bunnings tomorrow so I'll have a look then.

There are also these Tassie-suggested Road Refresher bowls, they may be worth buying to see of the top will fit a stainless or glass bowl instead of the plastic

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw=Road+Refresher&_sop=15&_osacat=1281&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Road+Refresher&_sacat=1281

they may work better than the Cruiser bowls as they have a float that sits on the surface of the water and under the lid, as Dogzfevr said;  Cruiser's are ok for traveling and keeping ears dry but not beards

I have a ten month old puppy who tips her water out when she is in her crate for the night, so I bought the large Rabbit drink holder, has the stainless steel tube that she licks, now no more wet blankets in the morning.:)

• Like 1

Honestly owning a breed with beard I have yet to find a bowl that would do the job you want but never had an issue with yeast and your dogs face is not hairy .

Staining like  that is due to saliva and often food.

Are the dogs feet orange 

3 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Honestly owning a breed with beard I have yet to find a bowl that would do the job you want but never had an issue with yeast and your dogs face is not hairy .

Staining like  that is due to saliva and often food.

Are the dogs feet orange 

Her feet aren't to bad though her hair is cut short on them.

I am gradually changing her diet from Advance+chicken frame/necks to a barf based diet with vegie slops (with acv) bones, yogurt and ground millet/rosehip/linseed mix plus some other beneficial herbs as well as a tooth-brushing each day.

The Westies do well on this and their yeast-problems disappeared so I may as well give Zara the same

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2017 at 2:58 PM, Boronia said:

Thanks RP,  I have to go to Bunnings tomorrow so I'll have a look then.

There are also these Tassie-suggested Road Refresher bowls, they may be worth buying to see of the top will fit a stainless or glass bowl instead of the plastic

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw=Road+Refresher&_sop=15&_osacat=1281&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Road+Refresher&_sacat=1281

they may work better than the Cruiser bowls as they have a float that sits on the surface of the water and under the lid, as Dogzfevr said;  Cruiser's are ok for traveling and keeping ears dry but not beards

We use the Road Refresher - excellent!

Not sure why you would use a different bowl instead of the plastic one as the whole thing is integrated ie it is a three piece  set up and designed to fit tightly together - I don't think it would work properly any other way.

Interestingly, although there is only a little bit of water available at any one time, the dogs all LOVE it and seek it out if available

7 hours ago, JRG said:

We use the Road Refresher - excellent!

Not sure why you would use a different bowl instead of the plastic one as the whole thing is integrated ie it is a three piece  set up and designed to fit tightly together - I don't think it would work properly any other way.

Interestingly, although there is only a little bit of water available at any one time, the dogs all LOVE it and seek it out if available

I bought a Road Refresher bow and it's not too bad, I did trim her beard a little sso between the bow and the trim now her chin is not dripping wet.

Thank you all for the recommendations  :thumbsup: