So worried about snakes!!

Whiskeys Mum

They had problems because our antiv for aus taipans didn't work very well so they had to make one specific for the png taipan.

It looks entirely different deep chocolate brown with and orange stripe down its back, really beautiful snake.

They had up to 17,000 people dieing from bites.

The new ant-v is so much cheaper, the aus one was expensive for them so this new one they can afford and it will save a lot of lives.

I didn't realise that Taipans and Mulga snakes were so spread out across parts of Indonesia.

I will never understand why it isn't free.

If your bitten by a snake in the USA and you don't have your own antiv you wont come out of hospital under $20,000.

The bloke I watch on facebook got bitten and he had his own and it still cost him $8,000, he was in hospital over night!

Mostly its because you just don't use one lot, depending on the snake, you may need many doses of anti-v.

Edited to say I had a Red Belly in my top yard today, Etta found it and dropped it when I told her to.

It was about two foot long, looked liked it was shedding, its skin was very dull and was in a hurry to leave.

Didn't want to bite any of u,s there was me and my two dogs in its way and it went around us to escape.

Red bellies are my fav snakes from Australia.

Edited by gillybob

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/experts-and-snake-catchers-are-sceptical-of-snake-repellents/news-story/6cd8428276c54227d0739bc3f5267283

University of Sydney biologist Rick Shine, who has studied snakes and their behaviour for more than 30 years, said he was “sceptical” of snake deterrents.

“The ones that have been investigated to my knowledge have been completely ineffective,” Prof Shine said.

“Of the products I’ve seen advertise, they mostly just generate entertainment for the scientists who study the biology of snakes.”

The team from the Curtin University Behavioural Ecology group in Perth have just kicked off the first-ever Australian study into the effectiveness of both vibrating and chemical snake repellents.

I tried to find the study this article refer to (article is from 2015, so should be done by now), but couldn't find it.

Maybe they entertain the snakes as well, that may be the reason they are often found near them.

OMG they are designed to annoy snakes and make them go away!

Do people really believe that?

Edited by gillybob

• 1 month later...