Can I get some help identifying our old dogs breed?

kreatific

Hey all,

New to DogzOnline. Hoping that I can get some expert help.

Just this week, we had to put our Ivy down due to an aggressive set of cancers/tumours, which spread throughout her body/legs. :(

Something that's doing my head in is that we never really figured out what breed she was.

We rescued Ivy when she was about 1 to 2 years old, and we had her for close to 12 years.

Here are some recent photos: https://imgur.com/a/K9aXA

It'd be amazing if anyone here could provide us with some clues on her breed and possibly, when the time comes. Some possible places to look in NSW for a similar dog.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edited by kreatific

Welcome to the forum kreatific, but so sorry to hear about Ivy, she looks a lovely dog.

As for her breed, it's always a guess as to their background - she has the lovely colour of some Rhodesian Ridgebacks, maybe some Staffie - and her ears ?Ibizan.  If you had some of her hair from a brush or bedding you could even look into DNA testing - although as you say "when the time comes" - the right dog will find you.

• Like 2

We are not supposed to guess mixed breeds, it is against forum rules but I would think that Ivy might have been a Basenji x Staffordshire Bull Terrier with perhaps a little Kelpie.
I would encourage you to read up on all of these breeds and perhaps choose the breed that matches Ivy's temperament the most.

She was probably an accidental mixture, you might possibly find another that looks like her by constantly checking the rescue sites, but if what you really want is another dog that acts like she did, then your best bet of getting a similar temperament is a purebred. Good luck!

:welcome:to the forum.

• Like 3

(As RP said, it's sort of against the rules.) 

She could be anything really, but considering she's a rescue it's probably more likely to be a mix of reasonably common breeds. My dogs are a bit the same haha. 

I'm no expert, but to me;

her fur looks like staffy/amstaff. Her face I think has hints of Labrador. Her ears could just be like that from staffy but possibly kelpie made her ears upright. She does look like she could have some kelpie in her... 

She was no doubt a sweet old "mystery mutt" as I call my Monty! She'll be running over the rainbow bridge now, sending hugs. :rainbowbridge: :heart:

When the time is right, perhaps you can keep an eye on who's in your local shelters and rescue groups, and perhaps another lovely mystery mutt who needs a loving forever home will pop up and fill your heart. :heart:

(Also to be more specific; 'Petrescue' has almost all the listings)

• Like 2

On 9/24/2017 at 6:51 AM, tdierikx said:

Another guess Amstaff/Kelpie here... gorgeous looking old girl... so sorry for your loss...

guessing the same Amstaff/kelpie. what a sweet lassie.  May the memories that You and Ivy made walking lifes path together remain forever warm in your heart. May I suggest not trying for a similar dog... for looks do not THE DOG make. Ivy was how Ivy lived and loved. Take you time and the right dog will turn up at the time.  By all means browse through various  rescue links etc.. taking your time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1