Should we get another dog now our dog is 14 ? And what breed

Christina77

Torn between getting another dog to be a companion to our old dog ( nearly 14 yr old red Cattle dog )and for my ill husband as well .

Our dog loves all dogs , specially small fluffies but hubby is set on getting another Cattle dog.

I would love to get another Cattle dog , however we have moved to Townsville and now have a smaller although fully secure yard . 

Our cattle dog was never overactive and fitted nicely into a routine of excersise and training with set rest times during the day , she was so easy to train and look after and still is .

I recently saw a red ACD at the vets and it was a lightning ball of energy ( understatement lol) and I figured it would be my luck to end up with one . My animals are for keeps and I don't want to get it wrong , it would break my heart if a dog didn't suit our family.

I have no experience with other breeds . We have been visiting the Townsville RSPCA to see if an older dog is available but unfortunately it still seems that breeding Bull Arab mixes is the in thing here and so sad to see so many being dumped and we just don't have the experience to handle a dog like that ( to be honest most seem to have some issues as well) 

What do older people do when they still want another dog but require a dog that isn't so full on ? Not sure a small fluffy is for us , I prefer a dog dog ( no offence meant , that's just us :) 

Money is not a problem , nor is care and love ( will be an inside dog with access to a lovely but smaller back yard , access to the beach for walks and social activities such as dog club training)

I'm stuck, I don't know what to do.

Edited by Christina77

Hi,

Just checked older dogs for an ACD, there are two recent listings.

A beautiful red CD female, desexed, free for a home in Qld.

Then another in Yass an Australian Ch. male and desexed, no price given.

Hope that this helps.

• Like 2

Sounds like your darling ACD was a very laid back version of he breed. Your best best would be to start asking breeders and rescues that foster (NOT shelters) for an equally laid back companion.
It doesn't sound to me as though you are in a good place in your life to get a puppy, so an adult or older dog, preferably a male to blend more easily with your existing girl would be he way to go.
I will ask around and see what the QLD rescues have available at the moment.

• Like 3

The two dogs that I mentioned above, the female is 19 months old and in Qld, are with the owners not in a shelter.

I think either of them would be a good fit, over the puppy stage, the male being an ex show dog may have a lot of manners and easier to handle, he sounds just beautiful from the write up on him.

@Christina77  Hi sorry, I'm slack and missed a reply.

There is this girl in Mackay, I'm finding further details out.
What I know so far is: 

"4yr old red cattle female. Desexed, chipped, needs to go to a good home with no chooks. Lovely nature, great with kids..located Mackay"

59ccbb8d84caa_4yogirlsml.thumb.jpg.9c2b3c13b9a11714efafae05a4f57ce8.jpg

Seeking contact information, I will send you a private message here as soon as I have it. :)

Uploaded Images

•  
  •  
  • Like 1

Check out SLK , they are in NSW , but i know they recently flew a cattle dog up there to a new home.

Their dogs are listed more on their FB page than their actual site.

Also you could contact them as they have dogs waiting to come in.

I am older and have now started the Dame Perignon Home for Retired Working Dogs - I take dogs who are over 10 years old because they are usually slowing down and tend to be ignored in pounds because everyone wants young dogs.   I currently have two 16 year olds - Diesel a Koolie and Bella a Border Collie.   Works well for me and them.  My last resident was Friskie who came at 14 and died recently at 20.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2017 at 10:06 AM, Perry's Mum said:

I am older and have now started the Dame Perignon Home for Retired Working Dogs - I take dogs who are over 10 years old because they are usually slowing down and tend to be ignored in pounds because everyone wants young dogs.   I currently have two 16 year olds - Diesel a Koolie and Bella a Border Collie.   Works well for me and them.  My last resident was Friskie who came at 14 and died recently at 20.

Have I told you lately that I love you????

stevo and I  do similar.. give a home to dogs over 10oyo. we figure we are  old pokes as why not give canine old pokes a good loving home :).  and as we have separate homes we can do twice the  number. legally two each :):):)

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Perry's Mum said:

I am glad I am not the only one - they are such a joy to live with.   My friends think I am mad but I have no regrets.

my sister thinks I am mad.. but that is just because we are total opposites..  my dog friends are delighted thank heavens.  I know sometimes the time we have left to spend together is short but  it is always pure gold.. they make  me go all soft when  their trusting gaze falls on me ...... and that first time when you know that at last they know  that they are home with their people.  Ah I could go on and on.  But I reckon that we get the best  part of them .....................

• Like 3

On 10/14/2017 at 6:33 PM, dogbesotted said:

Have I told you lately that I love you????

stevo and I  do similar.. give a home to dogs over 10oyo. we figure we are  old pokes as why not give canine old pokes a good loving home :).  and as we have separate homes we can do twice the  number. legally two each :):):)

And me although i did succumb to a younger dog last year - shocking!!!  My friends begged me to keep a younger dog as i often lose 2 or 3 dogs a year and the heartbreak is severe.  

• Like 1

On 03/10/2017 at 11:06 AM, Perry's Mum said:

Wonderful! :cheer:

We lost one of our retirees this week. George the Foxhound. :heart: 15.5yrs 

His carer is devastated but has already said if the right one comes along she would do it all again. Bless her. There's something so special about seniors. 

22491705_10155827140782899_5830209617928097963_n.jpg

Edited by Powerlegs
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Walking all the dogs today and apologising to Stevie - my youngster foster - for going so slowly.  What can you do, though?

Tamar - just a puppy at fourteen

Orla - permanent foster about to turn 16

Bunter - fatso waddler 15,16, 17 ????

Jeune - my old matriarch of 17

@dogbesotted "and that first time when you know that at last they know  that they are home with their people.”  Magic.  I’ve seen it lately with Orla as she comes “hurtling” down the pathway looking for me and skids to a halt when she sees me :heart: :heart:.  (Or maybe she wants a feed :rofl:.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1