Teen Pup Behaviour

KobiD

Hello all, new thread.

Our little mixed breed (whoknowswhat) is approaching 12 months old already. She is an outside dog and only allowed through the house under direction. She has never been encouraged to be protective, however with some maturity taking place she's recently began becoming more alert/suspicious of her surroundings. Noises coming from the neighbours yard etc. 

When she does this she carries her tail very high, curled over at the tip, stands tall and proud, and the hackles between her shoulders nice and ruffled. I don't have a problem with her indicating that she's noticed someone/something, however she hasn't worked out how to let it go yet. 

When she does it she isn't over the top really and will recall on cue, however I am wary of recalling and rewarding as she's quite intelligent and I want to avoid her associating the barking with a reward. Anyone have any suggestions how I can acknowledge her, and then have her realise no threat, relax, and don't bark again 5 mins later the next time they make a noise. 

One part of me wants to ignore it, and reward heavily when she's being calm (which is what we do mostly). But the other bit thinks that the barking could also be self rewarding so I don't want to let her continue. The other challenge is with her being outside all the time I don't really have the ability to control that environment, nor monitor her behaviour when we are out. 

I wouldn't put it down as problematic behaviour at this stage, but could see it annoying a few people if it occurs too often (all neighbours have dogs so are pretty understanding). This is my first dog of my own, so not sure if it's just a phase and she'll relax off a bit as she matures some more and realised what is a threat and what's not. 

I can only speak from my experience, and my experience has been with livestock guardians, but using a "thank you, back to bed" approach and showing the dog that you're taking their alert seriously helps to ease insecurities. Which as a teenager, they are full of. Unfortunately it's SUPER time consuming and highly frustrating, but when my dog is barking and acting like a full blown spaz, I thank him, go and look at what he's alerting to and then ask him to go back to bed. He's now reaching 12 months old as well, and is starting to become much more intense with his guarding duties, which is fine, but the lack of maturity also has him over reactive to minimal stimuli, eventually he will learn what is and is not a threat, until this time I have him on a three strike rule, if he acts like a pork chop for a fourth time he's forced inside - Gunner hates sleeping inside, so this works as a.. round about form of punishment I suppose, clearly this doesn't work for every dog. Stepping in chicken poop at night is quite infuriating, especially in the freezing cold winter nights so trying to remain calm and not strangle him at 1am has been another fun learning curve, haha. 

During the day I repeat similar steps, walking right up to what he's alerting to and asking him what the problem is seems to honestly be quite helpful. 

• Like 3

We're on 800sqm. She lives outside so can see/hear everything around her. 

I work shift work, and my partner works part time so it's very rare that she is left by herself for a full 8 hours or more, and the time we are out is random in both times and duration. She is left with a kong prior to heading out. 

Usually at least a walk once a day, but more often than not twice. Route get's varied, and is always structured around good behaviour/choices. Loose leash, leash awareness, focus back towards me. She can be reactive to other dogs in some situations so we are always working at threshold with a high rate of reinforcement. Used to get very excited by people as well but her impulse control has been gaining month by month. 

She get's human interaction all day at various times. She sleeps by the door near the kitchen so always someone coming past. 8yo and 3yo children so always lots of play time in the yard. Well structured play with the kids included in ball/rope games, the dog included in the kids playing go karts, and both children involved with training, reinforcement and feeding schedules. Have family/friends over frequently and no issues with people various ages, sex, build, etc. She gets excited (wiggly worm) but mostly just wants a tummy rub, and settles quickly after an introduction. 

She's always been a bit aware of what the neighbours are doing, but lately she has been putting on more of a show towards the rear neighbour (through a high timber fence). She did it again this afternoon while he was out around his pool doing some cleaning (he has a male dog, ours is female). I went down to inspect and she was just being a bit silly. Had a bit of a chat over the fence with him about where she's at and he's noticed she's been uppin him a bit too (has been same neighbour and situation since she was 8 weeks old). I think I'll just have to go walk the fence line every afternoon with some meat and reward her heavily for good choices and desensitise a bit. Lots of focus lately has been on walking in public and becoming impartial to other dogs. 

One thing to note is that he has been doing quite a bit of work on his side of the fence, pruning, having a few trees taken out, etc. I recall she went off a bit when the tree lopper was up a palm tree taking it down section by section, but I was there and rewarded good choices in that scenario too.

I think it's just a developmental stage where she is more aware and alert, and just needs to learn what is a threat and what's not. 

• Like 1

You are probably right that it is a stage she is going through. I also go and check for them. They are alerting after all, so it seems fair to honour them. But, if barking continues after I checked, I go out and warn ("enough of that or you'll have to come inside" - probably means hardly anything to them), if I have to come out a third time, they go inside. They do get a treat for coming inside sometimes, so I'm not left chasing them around the pool. They are smart. It's not exactly meant to be a penalty, but it may be sometimes. 

It's also worthwhile to sit outside with the dog for a while with some treats on hand. When there's a noise, call them in before they start barking and give them a treat. I have also had success with calling them in after one bark volley, reward, then get them to lie down on a bed, reward again. You can easily deal with them learning to bark to get called in by not paying them twice for the same thing. And then pay them periodically for staying on their bed. They learn the bed is more reinforcing.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

Is the dog not allowed in the house by choice .?

Yes.

Occasionally I'll let her in of an evening and reward her for laying on her mat for a quick pat. Sometimes I'll let her through the house when going out for a walk, but on the whole we see no need for her to be in and out of the house as she pleases. Young children (lots of toys, lots of excitement, lots of food left laying around), a pure bred ragdoll and as such cat food and kitty litter always out, and black dog hair on the floor doesn't please the lady of the house. 

She's very happy with her setup. Lazes around the veranda by the doors on her towels during the day, and moves out into the carport onto her elevated dog bed overnight. Plenty of undercover area and we live in a tropical climate. I probably spend more time outside with her than I do inside in all honesty as well, and the puppy always has lots of palm fronds, cardboard boxes, rope toys, and towels to play around with. Frequently given frozen kongs, all interaction is approached as training, and usually gets a nice beefy bone to chew on once or twice a week. 

I don't see this behaviour as being driven by frustration or boredom. I think it may be that when the neighbour cleans the pool she can 1) hear it, and 2) see the top of the net handle above the fence. Couple that with their dog being on the other side of the fence and she can get first aroused by the strange stuff happening and then excited by the dog. 

Also tends to happen more so at the witching hour of the day. 

I've just been calling her back, rewarding, and then continue to reward as we investigate together quietly. She seems to be getting the idea. We then head back together I get her on her mat and give her a few more rewards for laying quietly. 

After watching her behaviour a bit closer i'm reasonably confident that she is just developing and showing some awareness of her territory and doing what dogs do. It'll just take some training and time for her to understand how much alerting is needed, and in what situations. 

• Like 1

I always thank the dogs, and go to investigate what mine are  barking at .   If it looks like something that might go on, they come inside, just so I know they're safe and not annoying anyone..  I think you're doing the right thing by investigating, especially at this stage .. otherwise she may begin to feel she has to take all the responsibility.

I think I've been dealing with possibly 2 separate issues on this front.

On one front she is definitely being more territorial and alter and I think we're making some progress with investigating, settling and then stopping. On the other hand I think she might be doing a bit of attention seeking later at night.

She has done the attention bark in the past around dinner time which we'd all continue eating ignoring her, no eye contact and after a week or so she got the idea. I feel like she's stepped this up, but at a later time at night. Once the kids are in bed and when we're trying to relax. Last night was a full moon so I'll cross my fingers that was just it, and a weekend night with more noises around the place. I did notice her direction would change from barking towards the yard back towards the doors. I tried waiting her out and rewarding for quiet which worked, but I'd come back inside and within a minute she'd be back at it. This went on for some time.. By around 9pm at night I had had enough and was thinking of the little one in bed, the other kid who was complaining he couldn't get to sleep, and also the neighbours. Ended up getting quite frustrated. Ripped it up the dog and closed the doors and she stopped. Went back out a few minutes later, had a cuddle and pet and then went to bed.

Usually the dog would be asleep by that time, so maybe not enough exercise or training (no walks and little play) that day, coupled with the added light from the full moon.. Try again tonight. 

• 3 weeks later...

We're still working on this one with some positive results. 

She definitely shows some territorial behaviour, but I've noticed it's mostly birds that she stirs at, or palm fronds falling, and occasionally neighbours doing things that make strange noises. The other night someone was playing a trombone and she wasn't a fan. Hahah! But did settle after we investigated and rewarded some calm behaviour.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is she desexed?

Could there be possums or other animals around?

It sounds like she is doing here job, I know when my dogs bark its for a reason and always check as you are doing.

But their bark for a cat and their bark for a person are entirely different.

Its handy I always know when I have visitors!

• Like 1

It's definitely territorial, however she is desexed. Has been since 5months. 

I'm picking up on her triggers. She usually barks now if any of the dogs of the neighbouring properties come out to the fence. I'm working on desensitising her with them but it's taking a while. It only happens on our ground, never an issue in a public place.

The main trigger is birds. Cockatoos, Myna Birds, Ibis, etc all get her going. They don't need to be in our yard even, just visible. In a tree she'll spot em and rip it. Again, only from the yard. During our daily walks on common ground she'll walk right by. She'll even continue walking on a loose leash while a willy wag tail claps at her tail. 

I've also noticed sometimes she'll do a patrol as I walk outside, she'll jump up and scan the area ready to bark, as if to check it's safe before I come outside. I've been rewarding and getting in before she has a chance to practice that behaviour though. 

• 6 months later...

My boy has a permanent declaration of war against currawongs.    There's even a no fly zone overhead.   But other birds are fine .. even the lorikeets and cockatoos who are eating "his" apples.   Go figure.  :laugh:

• Like 2

Funny animals! She's always on the lookout! No fly zone included for sure! Neighbours trees. If it's visible she's vocal! But only really in our yard. Walk down the street and the nesting willy wag tail can bomb her and clip her across the back and she won't even flinch...

• Like 1

Molly is only allowed to bark/chase the black and white peewees. We have a bird feeder that attracts a lot of lorikeets and king parrots and she knows better than to bark at those. I’m so glad she can distinguish between them, but then peewees have such an awful voice.

• Like 2