Poochibald Art Prize

Boronia

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-04/dog-lovers-unleash-their-artistic-side-for-poochibald-art-prize/9012116

Poochibald Art Prize unleashes artistic talent and celebrates all good dogs

Posted about an hour ago

Four paintings of dogs lining a cream-coloured wall

Basil is a good boy and his pawtrait is this year's winner of the Poochibald Art Prize.

The award is Clarence City Council's take on the Archibald Prize, with less prize money but more pats.

Two kids and a dog looking at the art

Each year children and adults unleash their talent and celebrate doggos in all their glory.

This year saw 110 drawings, paintings, prints, linocuts and collages of dogs of all shapes and sizes hung on the walls of the Schoolhouse Gallery in Rosny.

Woman sitting in a garden with a dog on her lap

Anna Williams claimed the adult category first place prize of a $300 gift voucher with her linocut portrait of her niece's dog Basil.

"I chose him because of his brindle coat and his brown and black patches," Ms Williams told Jo Spargo on ABC Radio Hobart.

She said for a linocut to work, the subject needed plenty of colour variation which was one reason why she chose Basil the blue heeler over her own dog Cloudy.

"Basil is very attractive and young," she said.

Two paintings of dogs on a wall

"Cloudy is elderly, growing a few lumps and some hair in the wrong places and I love her dearly — I think she's beautiful but I don't think other people would."

Ms Williams is a ceramist by trade but was encouraged to enter the portrait competition by a friend.

"I do ceramics to teach and make my money that way," she said.

Three drawings of dogs on a wall

"But I love drawing and linocuts, that's my hobby, what I really enjoy doing."

While the Poochibalds offer prizes for first and second place in the adult and junior categories, the real aim of the art show is to bring dog and art lovers together.

The entries are on display until Sunday in the Schoolhouse Gallery at Rosny Farm from 11:00am to 5:00pm.

A child's drawing of a dog

A wall with various drawings and paintings of dogs

• Like 2