CodeNAbs

Hello everyone!

3 posts in this topic

CodeNAbs   

Glad to have finally made an account as I've been lurking on these forums for a couple of weeks. 

My partner and I have recently made the move from Townsville to the Gold Coast and are loving it. Our plans to settle down in a nice area with better work are finally happening. 

We have just moved into a lovely rental home with a sizable back yard and dog parks surrounding us. Having always wanted a little friend of our own, and having had the experience growing up we know there is some preparation and research involved.

So my friends, we turn to you! 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Code 

RuralPug   

:welcome: to the forum!

Normally I would say that your first step is to decide on a breed that will fit well into the lifestyle of your household. There are a number of breed selector quizzes if you google, here is one that I like to recommend, even though it is US based. Once you have narrowed it down to a handful of breeds start your research.

I still believe that choosing the right breed for you is essential, but I am beginning to think that choosing between baby puppy, older puppy, young adult or adult is even more essential for a household's first dog (even when household members have previously been part of other households with dogs.)

Far too often (and please don't take this personally) I have seen households choose baby puppies with the best of intentions, not realising the time commitment needed to raise them successfully, only to surrender or give them away or sell them when they become adolescent and destructive with no training. Or, and this is common, the poor dog is banished to the backyard with only occasional contact, a sort of garden ornament, to annoy the neighbours and suffer boredom. :(

All that just means that please please also research the hours each day needed to attend to the different age groups, and decided on how much daily time you can spare before you decide on the age group that will suit you best, remembering that daily training time is generally heaviest in the older puppy/young adult group (which baby puppies become, don't forget!) There is also play time, exercise time, grooming time and bonding time - bonding time can include all the above!
 It will all revolve around both time available and level of commitment. I am so glad that you came here to ask - too many seem to think that it is like choosing a new lounge suite or something, when it is more like adopting or fostering a child.

So take a few quizzes, narrow down your choice of breed and age, then come back to tell us a bit about your household's lifestyle and we will all be happy to share advice and make suggestions as to where you can meet those breeds!

CodeNAbs   

This is some great advice, thank you.

We are still settling after the big move. Once we are in the jobs we want (living on savings at the moment) we will see what sort of time we have available. Only then will we truly consider adopting a puppy. Growing up both my partner and I have raised small puppies but even then, as you say, sometimes we may not realize the commitment needed.

We are interested in the Shiba Inu breed and have heard people find them quite overwhelming if they are not prepared. In fact most dogs from the Spitz family peak our interest.

Both myself and my partner are active people and look forward to spending time playing with our puppy. We understand this will be a living, breathing being with feelings and a personality so we intend to keep it as healthy as we would ourselves or our child.

I'll check out those quizzes and see what they suggest then update everyone once we have things a little more worked out.

Thanks again!

Code