What to feed Amstaff

Songa

Hey everyone, getting an American Staffy pup in about 9 weeks. He will be about 10 weeks old then. Ive discussed with the breeder but just wanted to gather some more opinions. What should I feed him when I first get him and when should i transition to others food? Is a raw diet necessary? 

congratulations!!!!  I would be  starting off with what the breeder recommends then as time goes on change to whatever feeding regime you feel is best.  All transitioning should be with slow introductions of the new food. I certainly would add fresh foods as part of any diet ..my old guy used to particularly enjoy meaty bones..not the marrow bone but almost joints.. his meals for a day :) I am sure others will   give their opinions.

adding if  feeding kibble I would strongly recommend the very highest quality you can afford..grain free has been worthwhile in my experience.

• Like 1

The pup should be fed whatever the breeder will be feeding the litter, changing a diet too quickly can cause stomach upsets, also the breeder of this puppy is the best person to ask the feeding programme she does with her adults.

I always have a puppy pack when my babies are going to there new homes, in that is included a feeding programme for up to six months and I am always here for the new owners to contact me should they have any concerns at any time.

• Like 3

A good breeder will always give a diet sheet so that you know what, how much and how often to feed through the various growing stages, if pup does well on this there is no real reason to change.
Once pup is an adult you can experiment with different diets. Please accept that a good breeder knows the needs of their lines best.