Quiz on canine body language

DogsAndTheMob

I got 14/19 also. I thought I saw slight uncertainty in the way the Rhodesian Ridgeback's eyebrows drew together.

I had trouble judging the moods of the dog on the porch (hackles not visible) and the crouching GSD (tail not visible).

I thought the short-haired chihuahua was extremely frightened.

I got 15/19. A couple could have gone either way, like others have said hard to tell just from the one photo.

I disagree with what they say about the Shepherd being playful, nervous but no danger, he looked pretty scared and stressed to me and could air snap or nip to try and get out the situation.

• Like 3

I got 12/19 and I would have some good arguing about the interpretation of some of the photos.   If there was video that showed movement that might be a little bit easier.  eg were the ears really up and back or down and back?  was the mouth really relaxed or not?  were those eyes wide open or not - I don't think so... stuff like that.  ie sometimes I didn't think the description matched the picture so I got a lot wrong.  Plus my dog - I know her and some of the descriptions do not result in the behaviours suggested... especially the submission type ones.

• Like 1

I suck! I only got 11! I spend everyday watching both my dogs body language to ensure we have no issues but I still only got 11! I blame some of the poor photographs and lack of history about each and every dog and their breed and the inferior context provided around each scenario presented!

15 hours ago, Little Gifts said:

I suck! I only got 11! I spend everyday watching both my dogs body language to ensure we have no issues but I still only got 11! I blame some of the poor photographs and lack of history about each and every dog and their breed and the inferior context provided around each scenario presented!

But think about the breeds of dog you have at your place LG... I'm sure most of us wouldn't recognise many signals a Pei displays... so you can give yourself a 5 point head start on everyone else, OK?

T.

• Like 1

Yeah there was one with the dog licking its nose.  I get the exact same expression - when my dog wants something ie food... and she knows there is food to be had. 

And i can't tell from the photo whether the dog is looking at someone with food or looking away from something that makes it feel uncomfortable or it wants to appease. 

If the quiz said that the focus of the dog's attention was where the camera is - then maybe I would have scored higher... but erm I couldn't tell if the dog was looking towards something upsetting / exciting or away from it...

I agree with the comments about the quiz's limitations but I still see it as a valuable tool to get people thinking about canine body language. I've looked at a few other quizzes and it was by far the best. Another quiz (which had vets as the target readership, I think!) compared a husky with a rose-eared cross-breed, and based the interpretation on ear position. Most rose-eared dogs can't lift their ears, and my husky almost never put her ears down or back.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob

I got 10 which seems I know nothing about dogs.

I do know when mine are unhappy or stressed or frightened.

But with the Fauves when they are out you don't often see their faces because their noses are stuck to the ground sniffing.

I just took them out up to the Standing Stones and if their noses weren't down they were peeing!

Gilly tells me exactly what he wants.

Edited to say Fauves ears are always down, they help channel the scent.

Edited by gillybob