Italian woman granted sick pay for time off to look after her ill dog

dwynwen

I'm not 100% sure where I stand on this issue.

I have had to take time of for my animals but have taken it as leave without pay or annual leave. My employer has been accommodating, in that they have allowed it at short notice, and I considered that an acceptable compromise. 

Edited by corrie
  • Like 1

I have taken sick days off for the dogs.

Two days after she was attacked by Scarlet (both of us needed that)

A half sick day when she ate a bee and needed monitoring (swelling on face and throat)

and also took a day off when she cut her happy tail open to the bone in the morning to rush her to the vet, but i took that one using some overtime I already had on hand.

My managers are supportive and tbh, if I thought I had the kind of manager who'd say no on account of just being an animal...I'd take it as a sick/personal day for me because there is no way I'd be able to concentrate at work if the dogs are bad enough I think I need to stay home. I'd cry on my doctor to get a med cert if I had to, or do a stautory dec saying I couldn't go to work that day for personal health reasons.

My old job at Telstra they let me switch shifts around to look after a very sick rabbit, and even brought her into a night shift with me at one point. But that place, getting sick leave was a huge bother for myself that I'd do everything to avoid it.

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Thistle the dog said:

I have taken sick days off for the dogs.

Me too - back when Guinea first got sick and I thought she'd been sent home on palliative care (miscommunication from the casual vet) I was a total mess and took two "Mental Health days" snuggled up in bed with my beautiful girl. 

I'm very fortunate that I've always had bosses who've been pretty good at letting me come or go early for urgent vet appointments or emergencies.  While I'd happily take flex leave or short notice annual leave for sickness, I'd  really like to see more support for bereavement leave for pets.

• Like 1

One employer gave me 2 days compassionate leave when my heart dog passed... but to be fair, I was a complete mess, and wouldn't have been very productive at work when that happened...

I've usually used annual leave days (most employers have been OK with 1 day at short notice) for other pet illnesses/injuries.

My current job is working with farm animals, so if I had to, I could bring an ill dog to work with me.... I'm already allowed to bring my foster pups... *grin*

T.