Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD) joint diseases

Hi

My puppy was diagnosed with this disease to his shoulders at 6 months and had bilateral shoulder surgery. We would like to know what you supplement your dog's if they suffer from joint diseases? Obviously it's only going to get worse for him, he's now nearly 15 months. Even now after playing with dogs in the park for a short period he pulls up lame so

dread to think how he will be as he gets older.

_20171013_210357.JPG

No experience with this specifically, but my adult Border Collies have been on joint support of some sort since they were youngsters.   There's quite a big range now, so I'd be consulting with your pup's surgeon, or a rehab vet if you have access to one, on what they have found useful.  (And probably on rehab and strengthening exercises generally .. plus things to avoid.)  FWIW, my agility BC has regular hydrotherapy, and this may be something that would assist in keeping your lovely lad nice and strong.    I'm a worry wort, so I'd be limiting his access to activities that you see are likely to cause him to be lame or stiff ... but again, seek guidance from your surgical/rehab professionals.

Sorry your pup has this.

The usual recommendation is glucosamine/chrondoitin(sp?).  The clinical evidence that this is beneficial is weak, but it probably won't hurt.

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2014/03/legs-glucosamine-study-sows-little-evidence-of-real-benefit/  

Do work with a vet.  There are meds for arthritic pain.  Supplements aren't a substitute if it gets bad.