A little nervous, breeder advice

Eni

Hi

I want  to ask some advice, just to calm my nerves.

I have been looking for a while for a female cocker puppy and  I put a deposit down for one in Victoria (I am from Qld).  The breeder is member of DOL since early 2000, says the puppies are health tested and will be coming with pedigree papers (pet only).  It is a little scary to buy a puppy without meeting the breeder or the puppy itself, the breeder didn't ask many questions about me or my family situation, they don't have a facebook page or website. They do show their dogs coz I was able to find records of shows with their prefix dogs.  

Should I generally trust breeders on DOL ? The ad says they are members of Dogs Victoria and also Cocker Club victoria. I already picked the puppy since week 1, so no way of knowing their temperament yet,  I am really scared to make a mistake.  

Your thoughts ? 

Both you AND the breeder need to feel comfortable with the decision to purchase.

Just because they advertise on DOL and/or show their dogs is no real indicator one way or the other, it does mean that they are registered ANKC breeders though. Not having their own online page doesn't mean anything much except that they are very unlikely to be a puppy farm.

If I were you, I would spend a bit more time talking with the breeder on the phone, asking then about their expectations for the kind of care they want the puppy to have, what are the characters of the pups and what sort of written advice they give with their puppies. Also, if you have a friend or relative that you trust in Victoria, you could ask if they could visit the puppy on your behalf.

I don't see any red flags in what you have said, but if you just don't feel comfortable then you could wait for a litter closer to you that you can visit before purchasing.

Edited by RuralPug
fat finger typo
  • Like 2

How did you find the breeder?  (Here or on another website?)

Have you spoken to them on the phone? 

What specific tests have they said they do? & why? 

Do you know Mum & dads registered names? 

Have you seen photos of your puppy as it grows? 

Have you asked how they match a puppy to a new home?

What are the plans for transport to QLD? 

What are your payment options

What support do you get now & after your pup comes home? 

While I mostly agree with Rural pug it is becoming more common for people to pinch genuine peoples details off websites such as DOL & impersonate them (I heard of one where the DOL page said they were in NSW, the breeder number was from Victoria & bank branch was in WA. The  person lost their very large deposit on a pup that didn't exist).

Not saying this is the case with you, but good on you for asking questions go with your guts. In short -ask a heap more questions.

6 hours ago, Scottsmum said:

How did you find the breeder?  (Here or on another website?)

Have you spoken to them on the phone? 

What specific tests have they said they do? & why? 

Do you know Mum & dads registered names? 

Have you seen photos of your puppy as it grows? 

Have you asked how they match a puppy to a new home?

What are the plans for transport to QLD? 

What are your payment options

What support do you get now & after your pup comes home? 

While I mostly agree with Rural pug it is becoming more common for people to pinch genuine peoples details off websites such as DOL & impersonate them (I heard of one where the DOL page said they were in NSW, the breeder number was from Victoria & bank branch was in WA. The  person lost their very large deposit on a pup that didn't exist).

Not saying this is the case with you, but good on you for asking questions go with your guts. In short -ask a heap more questions.

I found the breeder on DOL, I spoke on the phone and emails as well. Daughter replies to emails and she is very responsive. 

I haven't seen photos yet.  

I arranged transportation with jetpet myself. 

The rest I haven't asked. 

My worry is that I've been reading so much about breeders screening their potential buyers but It didnt happened with me while I was speaking to her on the phone. I dont doubt the puppy exist,  I just want to make sure  is healthy and right match for me.  A lot of people buy interstare without an issue.  I asked if I could go down and visit during a short stay in Melbourne later in november and they said yes.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Eni said:

Maybe I am too paranoid :( .... 

Relax. Yes there are scammers and yes they might be here but its the forum owner who controls some things that appear on breeders listings like the how long they have been a member. A breeder can't put that in. If they have had a member listing since 2000, that's 17 years and a long time to be a scammer and get away with it.

Not all breeders have web sites or 20 million questions to ask.

The mere fact you can visit is 100% positive.  Do get copies of parents health tests and make sure you get registration papers. Most likely they will be limited.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Rebanne said:

Relax. Yes there are scammers and yes they might be here but its the forum owner who controls some things that appear on breeders listings like the how long they have been a member. A breeder can't put that in. If they have had a member listing since 2000, that's 17 years and a long time to be a scammer and get away with it.

Not all breeders have web sites or 20 million questions to ask.

The mere fact you can visit is 100% positive.  Do get copies of parents health tests and make sure you get registration papers. Most likely they will be limited.

Thank you Rebanne,

I have checked with Cocker spanier club and they confirmed that they are breeders and members. Now I can relax and wait for my bundle of joy to arrive. 

Thank you :)

• Like 4

I bought a puppy from interstate late last year, and I visited the breeder twice before I collected the puppy - once before the litter was born and a second time when the puppies were six weeks old. I felt it was well-worth the expense and inconvenience of the interstate trips, because I hope she'll be a member of my family for the next 15+ years.

l couldn't be happier with my girl.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Eni said:

I found the breeder on DOL, I spoke on the phone and emails as well. Daughter replies to emails and she is very responsive. 

I haven't seen photos yet.  

I arranged transportation with jetpet myself. 

The rest I haven't asked. 

My worry is that I've been reading so much about breeders screening their potential buyers but It didnt happened with me while I was speaking to her on the phone. I dont doubt the puppy exist,  I just want to make sure  is healthy and right match for me.  A lot of people buy interstare without an issue.  I asked if I could go down and visit during a short stay in Melbourne later in november and they said yes.  

Well that sounds positive. Hope it all works out ok for you!

• Like 3

On 10/16/2017 at 7:56 AM, Eni said:

Maybe I am too paranoid :( .... 

I’m glad you will be able to visit and you have done further follow-ups which have put your mind at risk.  

I don’t think you are paranoid at all; you are bringing into your family a little life who will be with you for approximately 15 years.  

Good luck and we all look forward to updates when pup arrives.  

• Like 1