Kelpie Information

Prestage754

Hello Dog Lovers :)

My partner and I are looking into getting our first dog, we are both 28 and quite active, we have been looking at getting a Kelpie but now a bit worried it would be punishment not being able to exercise it as much as it would need.

Does anyone have any recommendations of kelpie cross breeds that would subdue the activeness at all? or another Breed similar to a Kelpie that wouldn't require 60km of running a day?

Thanks all - also if you know any Breeders in WA please advise. 

I have owned a Kelpie and I can tell you my Kelpie NEVER got 60 km of running a day.  Nor does any dog need that on a daily basis.  A good hour of exercise a day for an adult Kelpie would be enough in most cases.  Though smaller walks twice a day would work just as well also.  If they are ball mad then you can use a ball chucker and throw a tennis ball for them, this means they can get more exercise in a shorter space of time. I would also look at doing something like Agility with a Kelpie as they thrive on this sort of activity.

I have Belgian Shepherds now as I am older and sadly do not have the time for a Kelpie anymore.  Belgians are high energy breeds but not the same level as a Kelpie.  Both breeds do need maintenance grooming of their coats.  However my Belgians can survive quite happily with not being walked every day.  However, a word of warning, they LOVE to be a part of the family and do not do well if left in the backyard with little human interaction.  They want to be with you as much as possible.  They are also excellent guard dogs.

I can recommend some Kelpie breeders to you if you decide you want to continue down that path.

Have a good day

Cheers

Cindy Didsman

Poppie2.thumb.jpg.a004560211bad696c2c43a2c23d31062.jpg

27 minutes ago, myzchev said:

Thanks Cindy - if you could reocmmend some breeders that would be much appreciated, i would like to get in contact with them and ask a few more questions.

Thanks for your response!!!

Edited by Prestage754

As mentioned above, not quite 60km a day. 

I have a staffy x who could keep up with lots of exercise and would be happy to spend the day doing agility, going for big walks, fetch etc. but he is just as happy to laze in the sun all day with just a few quick games of zoomies with his fur-brother. Of course it depends on the individual dog, but maybe a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, an American Staffordshire Terrier or a staffy mix would be suitable. :) 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty
Not sure what went on up there...
  • Like 1