Elbow Callus - Puppy

Batmantha

Morning,

Now I know this might be a long shot but I have a 9 month old pup who is starting to get a callus on her elbow. The vet told me to stop her lying on hard surfaces and get her a bed for outside... clearly he hasn't seen my backyard or house lol. I have 2 dogs and there is 2 pillow beds and 4 trampoline beds outside and 4 pillow beds in the house lol. So she has multiple soft spots to lay but she really likes laying on the concrete out the back. I have tried putting a bed there but she pushes them out of the way in that spot so she obviously likes it there. Is there anything I can do to help the callus or is it just one of those life - deal with it type things

Thanks!

can you put those softish interlocking foam tiles on the concrete? Is she hot and the concrete cool? Maybe keep a spot on the grass dampish to encourage her there. It's a right royal pain when the callus gets infected and they need to be operated on so I'd be trying to prevent it.

Maybe get her a cooling mat? In my experience dogs lie in concrete etc because it is cooler and they are on the warm side. My old rough collie ran pretty hot (plus, you know, coat) so we put ice blocks under his trampoline bed to cool it for him as well as damp towels over a fan blowing on the bed area to help keep him cool - otherwise he would seek out the hard surfaces to sleep on.

You can also probably dig a decent ditch/hole in the dirt for him to sleep in - the ground temperature under the first few centimetres is pretty cool and dirt is probably softer than concrete 

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:53 AM, mackiemad said:

Maybe get her a cooling mat? In my experience dogs lie in concrete etc because it is cooler and they are on the warm side. My old rough collie ran pretty hot (plus, you know, coat) so we put ice blocks under his trampoline bed to cool it for him as well as damp towels over a fan blowing on the bed area to help keep him cool - otherwise he would seek out the hard surfaces to sleep on.

You can also probably dig a decent ditch/hole in the dirt for him to sleep in - the ground temperature under the first few centimetres is pretty cool and dirt is probably softer than concrete 

2 cooling mats and unfortunately life with a puppy, my entire backyard is just dirt and holes :D