17 week silky puppy deaf or lazy?

SA Fur Mum

Hi everyone.

I'm quite new here. Need some advice, help, assistance anything as I not sure what to do :(
Firstly, I love my little 17 week australian silky pup. She's a cute little raggamuffin. I bought her through a breeder here and also bought her nana (5 year old silky terrier). 
My problem is that my pup is showing signs of partial deafness. I've had puppies in the past and they all responded well at raggamuffins age. Theyve all shown signs of alert and sound. Raggamuffin doesn't respond to her name. Yes I know most pups won't and they have selective hearing at the puppy stage but she isn't alert at all. She will be sleeping and not wake up after I have slammed the front door shut. Her nana will be up straight away barking and thats when puppy will wake because of the noise. We have hidden around the corner and clapped our hands, called out to her. Her ears don't move for a while. She has fallen asleep on the couch and we've clicked our fingers above her head. No movement. Does not wake up. What we haven't tried is banging pots and pans while hidden away in the kitchen. Poor nana would just hide away. 
She does however, responds to her squeaky toy. 

Shes quite aggressive towards nana as well. They play rough and have gotten too rough for my liking sometimes. She will bite our hands and fingers, which i know they do, i've wailed, ouch so she would know its too hard, but she just keeps going. She will stop eventually though. I'm afraid puppy doesn't know her boundaries because she cannot hear nana or us. 

I'm not sure what to do. Any help or advice would be appreciated. 

Thank you 

“Stubborn” = haven’t been taught what is wanted and rewarded for it enough. :)

Did you take Ragamuffin to puppy preschool? She is out of the usual age but there are some senior puppy classes around. An at-home trainer with experience training deaf dogs would also be great - possibly better, actually.

Lots of suitable trainers at this link: http://www.rspcasa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/FF-List-Update-3-Oct-17.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for advice. Raggamuffin is very food motivated. We go through the sit, stay training most days. When nana comes close to me when i have treats for training, raggamuffin will shoo nana away. Shes bossy one. 

Im leaning towards an at home trainer. Thank you for the link!

• Like 1

Yes. I took her to the vet for her usual worming and also expressed my concerns. My vet checked her ears and did some basic test like I had done. Clicking and clapping to see if she would respond, jump, anything. But she didn't. I was just told to monitor and see how she goes as she gets old. 

I know its not the end of the world if shes partially deaf. She's a good pup but i just can't help but worry. 

I've not had a deaf youngster in, (seniors yes) so I'm not much help but I'd try Australian Deaf Dog Rescue and ask for some advice. :)  They see more deaf dogs than anyone I know. And you have the advantage of her being young and readily trainable using hand signals. 

• Like 2

You can’t monitor hearing issues ,if your pup is deaf ,deaf in one ear or borderline then the sooner you know the easier you can adapt a lifestyle that allows quality,independent living and ensuring human interaction is positive not frightening the better . Your vet should have to.d you about the BAER option ..

A BAER text is the only health check to confirm it ,puppies learn quickly to adapt ,follow or read signs ,feel vibrations hence a vet check as such will not give you a true reading .

i would contact your breeder with your concerns 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

You can’t monitor hearing issues ,if your pup is deaf ,deaf in one ear or borderline then the sooner you know the easier you can adapt a lifestyle that allows quality,independent living and ensuring human interaction is positive not frightening the better . Your vet should have to.d you about the BAER option ..

A BAER text is the only health check to confirm it ,puppies learn quickly to adapt ,follow or read signs ,feel vibrations hence a vet check as such will not give you a true reading .

i would contact your breeder with your concerns 

Yes my vet did the basic test for sound. No response from pup. Was just clicking and clapping. All the stuff we had tried at home. She also did tell me about the BAER test but also said that as a pup she will have selective hearing. But my husband and I can clearly see that she just isn't responding and showing alertness to certain noises. 

I have contacted the breeder and she has said to give it 18 months and see where she's at. I'm sure 18 months would be enough time for the breeder to say, sorry, your issue now. I paid good money for a pure bred. And its not about the money but the lack of empathy and concern of the breeder about my pup from her bitches litter. :( 

3 minutes ago, SA Fur Mum said:

Yes my vet did the basic test for sound. No response from pup. Was just clicking and clapping. All the stuff we had tried at home. She also did tell me about the BAER test but also said that as a pup she will have selective hearing. But my husband and I can clearly see that she just isn't responding and showing alertness to certain noises. 

I have contacted the breeder and she has said to give it 18 months and see where she's at. I'm sure 18 months would be enough time for the breeder to say, sorry, your issue now. I paid good money for a pure bred. And its not about the money but the lack of empathy and concern of the breeder about my pup from her bitches litter. :( 

Hmmm..a BAER test now sounds a good plan . The breeder doesn't sound at all concerned :( 

9 minutes ago, persephone said:

Hmmm..a BAER test now sounds a good plan . The breeder doesn't sound at all concerned :( 

Yes i'm looking into it now as we speak. Trying to find where they do this in Adelaide. 

Breeder wasn't the best and couldn't even contact her by phone. Always email which I thought was strange. Anyway, I'm not here to put her down :(  i'm more concerned about my pup and her welfare. 

• Like 3

If you maybe start a new thread in  'General' asking for recommendations for BAER testing in Adelaide ..
that way you will hopefully be told of the  ones folks here know of or have used :) 

best of luck with it .. ( oh ..and we really need Ragamuffin photos !!!!! <3   ) owners of really cute pups are compelled to post pics :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, persephone said:

If you maybe start a new thread in  'General' asking for recommendations for BAER testing in Adelaide ..
that way you will hopefully be told of the  ones folks here know of or have used :) 

best of luck with it .. ( oh ..and we really need Ragamuffin photos !!!!! <3   ) owners of really cute pups are compelled to post pics :P 

Here is my little ratbags :)  
Love them!!

Roxy and Lois 2.pdf

Roxy and Lois.pdf

Roxy Passport Pic.pdf

Roxy Side Eye.pdf