Poo bags and plastic waste

sandgrubber

I normally use carry bags for poo pick-up on the morning walk (3 dogs). My usual grocery store is phasing out carry bags in 2018.  I support this; no problem with reusable shopping bags.  Not so enthusiastic about the notion of reusable poo bags.  Can anyone suggest a green alternative to plastic bags?  (Carry a pooper scooper for 3-4 k isn't going to work).

• Like 2

We also currently reuse grocery shop plastic bags for "poo-patrol" (in the yard), but I use dog poo bags for walks. (A family member put some in the dogs Xmas stockings haha and they've lasted ages!) 

Once they have used up I also want to buy biodegradable ones. (Which is confusing because half of them aren't actually biodegradable under realistic conditions) 

We can't not use bags for "poo patrol" either because of the risk of maggots in the wheelie bins... :vomit: 

I’m out of poo bags so am currently trying to find the least worst thing. Thanks for starting a thread. :laugh:

There’s PVA (poly-vinyl alcohol) but I’m confused about how environmentally-friendly it is?

https://www.ohcrap.com.au/official-techie-testing-stuff/

Googling also brought up this:

http://store.biobagworld.com.au/environmental-dog-poo-bags

Also important: how they actually hold up to the job! :eek: 

• Like 1

We use the Oh Crap PVA ones. Seems a lot better to me than "biodegradable" bags that actually break down into plastic soup. Tried some other brand, which I think may have been corn-based, and they biodegraded right in my hand. Thanks, but no thanks.

• Like 1

I use nappy bags as well, but choose biodegradable ones (don't ask me why they make biodegradable bags for nappies that are not biodegradable!). They are much stronger than poop bags and only a few cents dearer. I buy them only on special which makes them good value. 

48 minutes ago, corvus said:

We use the Oh Crap PVA ones. Seems a lot better to me than "biodegradable" bags that actually break down into plastic soup. Tried some other brand, which I think may have been corn-based, and they biodegraded right in my hand. Thanks, but no thanks.

That was my concern. Thanks!

On 21/10/2017 at 9:55 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

That was my concern. Thanks!

I was told that they should be good for 2 hours at least. I can vouch for that. They are annoyingly difficult to detach from a roll, but I can live with it. I got sent some samples when I asked about them. The first sample never showed up, and I was going to leave it at that given one of my flyball team mates had been using them and assured me they were perfectly practical, but Bruce followed up by e-mail and sent me another sample. Can't fault his customer service.