Roo mince advice please

Boronia

I used to feed the dogs roo mince but stopped buying it after running out of the last 16kg, Henry's stinkin' farts would strip the paint off the walls, they were silent farts, wafting round the house,  for a while we thought we had problems with the Biolytix water treatment plant not working properly...well no, it was Henry.

The dogs did do well weight-wise with the roo mince but since I changed their diet to BARF and Country Barf Henry had put on weight again, he is a porkie-pig, he has also started licking his paws and a 'hot spot' appeared on his thigh (which I treated and is now dry)

Sooo

my question is; what can I mix with the roo mince to stop Henry's gas-works? keep in mind that I usually buy a 16kg box, so please, answers need to be tried-and-true

So much stink can come from this small body!  59e857b6ef522_Screenshotfrom2017-09-1907-20-58.png.a72655d5bc2615b7b5ea75e74ad0e7c4.png

thought I'd also add this photo of him lying in his bed...fartin'

59e875e330d7f_Screenshotfrom2017-09-1107-32-00.thumb.png.66cacd766564288858f65b1013800701.png

Edited by Boronia
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

when I had Sam the staffy, there were times the cat and I would look at each other and wish oxygen masks would fall from the ceiling LOL Really don't know why they bother with bullets, if dog farts were weaponised I'm sure they'd be leathal!

• Haha 2

Stupid question but can you not find anything else that is low fat/higher protein - which is probably what is helping keep them lean?

Edited to add: that combo has been good for Malcolm too!! But now he’s on prescription kibble. Ugh.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Not as readily available in Oz, but we tried Scottie on possum when we arrived here... holy living Harry! (Or should that be Henry?):eek:

I don't recommend it at all...:laugh:

Can you "cut" the roo mince with something else - eg 50/50 pork or chicken and see if that helps with everything. Or maybe add a probiotic? 

I will take the risk and buy some more roo (I may just buy the more expensive from Woollies as I can buy in a small amount) and add yoghurt and a little charcoal and see how that goes.

I thought of the 50/50 Scottsmum but was trying to stick with the one protein source as I had previously fed him with the roo + a little grain-free kibble occasionally and that didn't help slow down his stinkies.

I included the occasional kibble to make sure he was picking up any vitamins/minerals that he may have been missing out on, I feed raw meat/raw vegie slops with ACV/ground millet/linseed. The Westies did well on this

7 minutes ago, juice said:

That explains Zelda's clear the room farts! i had no idea it was the roo.

Can you explain what charcoal  and yogurt does ? and where and how do you feed charcoal?

some info here https://draxe.com/activated-charcoal-uses/

and here https://www.cuteness.com/article/cure-pet-gas-yogurt

http://www.dogchatforum.com/dog-fart-prevention.htm

• 3 weeks later...

I have started them on veal with bone, $44 for 25kg (I am sorry little calves that you have ended up as dog food) and the farts have stopped. I'll keep an eye on Henry's weight to see if it's doing the job of knocking off some of his lard

With my lot, farting is a sign that something in the diet is not a 'perfect fit' for that particular dogs gut ie. wrong protein source or too much fat or oil or fibre or whatever.

I presume you have tried adding probiotics to the food?

I would do anything not to feed kangaroo mince as I hate the smell, so I can understand why it makes such toxic farts.

Luckily mine did not do well on kangaroo so I went back to beef mince and found it was perfect.....long may it continue!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2017 at 2:06 PM, Stitch said:

With my lot, farting is a sign that something in the diet is not a 'perfect fit' for that particular dogs gut ie. wrong protein source or too much fat or oil or fibre or whatever.

I presume you have tried adding probiotics to the food?

I would do anything not to feed kangaroo mince as I hate the smell, so I can understand why it makes such toxic farts.

Luckily mine did not do well on kangaroo so I went back to beef mince and found it was perfect.....long may it continue!!

I added home made low fat/no sugar yoghurt Stitch as well as some of the innards of the probiotic capsules, made very little difference.

I had bought a 15kg carton of the stuff so the farts were on-going for quite a few weeks :laugh:  the trouble was that Henry did really well on it, he was lovely and slim and happy.

The veal with bone seems to be satisfactory, he is slowly losing the weight he put on with the BARF and Country BARF,  he was getting really a chunkie-fatbum; not a good thing with his arthritus

Everyones experiences with diet varies.  I guess that's why there are so many different dog foods on the market.

I have had years of tailoring diets to suit problem dogs so now I can tell very quickly what will suit a new puppy/dog best.   There has to be a upside for all the clean ups I have had to do!

My breed has very few health issues but some dogs can get gut issues ie. IBS, colitis & pancreatitis.

Things I have learnt are:

1. There is not one diet that suit all dogs. 
  2. If your dog farts or has ongoing gut rumblings or poos that are not correctly formed then what they are eating is not agreeing with them.
  3. Although BARF is my preference, it doesn't suit all dogs so alternatives have to be found or you have to get used to the farts or many vet visits....and I hate giving dogs meds.
  4. BARF contains bone, and bone contains marrow, and marrow = fat.   So if the dog suffers from gut issues BARF is not always going to be suitable to feed unless you like farty dogs with ongoing poo issues.   This is because of the fat content.
  5. Flaxseed, which for some reason is finding its way into many dog foods, can also cause gut issues in some dogs.   Sometimes major gut issues!
  6. Feeding dry dog food increases tartar on the teeth and bad breath.
  7. Some dogs are lactose intolerant or do a good impression of being so, and feeding yoghurt, including goat dairy products leads to soft poos and gut issues.
  8. Probiotics can only do so much but if you have a dog with gut issues probiotics should be an ongoing part of the dogs diet, ie given daily long term.  You can also get a SP probiotic capsule at the chemist which works slightly differently to something like Protexin.
  9. Cooking the meat breaks it down a bit and makes it easier for the dog to digest and is therefore more soothing for the gut. 
  10. Cooking for your dog is not difficult.  It is just a matter of getting into a routine.   There are many acceptable things that can be added to cooked meat.  I am still looking for the perfect multivitamin supplement though!

• Like 1

On 20 October 2017 at 8:39 AM, juice said:

That explains Zelda's clear the room farts! i had no idea it was the roo.

Can you explain what charcoal  and yogurt does ? and where and how do you feed charcoal?

If buying roo meat from commercial sources it may not be pure roo.... it is legal for pet food to call it roo as long as it has a percentage of roo - it could also contain horse meat or other... however I guess if they put horsemen on the packet many people would not buy it.

I use roo meat but it is direct from the shooter... straight from bush to freezer... it has always been very clean, lean with lots of blood - but when someone has shown me the commercial roo from a pet shop or pet area of the supermarket there seems to be more fat etc.... 

We haven't had problems with stinky farts with our 6 dogs.... but then things can be different for some dogs.

Gut aches & loose poos doesn't always mean wrong food,stomach muscles play a big factor which is why i use bowen treatment on my dogs ,i know when there sore as they often end up with a runny poos ,so in some cases people can change a diet till the cows come home but wont solve the issue .Dogs muscle play just a big a role

Vet recently said to me kangaroo meat not as wonderful as its promotors claim, and said if changing Rheneas to it, use human grade and cook it well, don't believe everything about it not being able to nurture worms and pass them on.  Wasn't saying don't use it, but certainly not highly recommending it.