Roo mince advice please

Boronia

On 06/12/2017 at 9:33 PM, PossumCorner said:

Vet recently said to me kangaroo meat not as wonderful as its promotors claim, and said if changing Rheneas to it, use human grade and cook it well, don't believe everything about it not being able to nurture worms and pass them on.  Wasn't saying don't use it, but certainly not highly recommending it. 

Very odd thing for the vet to say. There certainly could be parasites in roo ORGANS, same as in organs of most livestock, but freezing before feeding will kill them just as thoroughly as cooking. As far as I am aware, there are no parasites in roo muscle meat. Roo mince might contain the odd small percentage of organs, but not usually.

When feeding any raw meat, simply freezing it for at least a few days before feeding will destroy any parasites and most bacteria without destroying many of the vitamins/ enzymes etc. that cooking destroys.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest crazydoglady99

Are you feeding only roo meat? (No veg?)

I can't remember if it's Augustine Approved or Dr Billinghurst that says when feeding Roo it's incredibly rich and can cause tummy issues so it needs pureed raw fruit & veg with it.

I changed from roo to veal-with-bone, they are doing ok on that (they still get their vegie-slops each day as well as some grain-free kibble once a week) henry did very well on the roo, the only reason I stopped was the extra-stinky farts

Glad the stinkies have stopped, @Boronia.  Have you looked into Vets All Natural?  Bunter put on quite a lot of weight when he first arrived and I had him on the VAN diet for a long time and he managed to lose weight.  Unfortunately, he went off it and on the weight piled again.  He really needs to lose weight, but luckily seems to have put himself on a diet and I am reinforcing that by giving him only small meals with a mixture of meat and pureed vegetables.  Trip to the vet tomorrow to hop on the scales.  

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling