help please - what to do about biting dog?

A friend I have to visit regularly recently adopted a 3yo labrador. I visited just after she got him. I got out of the car and he came up to sniff me, so I spoke to him and allowed him to sniff my hand. Well, he just lunged at me. Startled, my friend called him and praised/petted him, which she regretted later, however during the next few hours I was there, he went for me three more times, leaving some pretty nasty bruises to my arm. I wasnt trying to pet him or even talk to him - he'd just jump up out of the blue and have a go. The thing is, my friend said he'd met several other people in the couple of days prior and didn't have a problem with them, which is why she hadn't expected it.  Another friend  had arrived that same day just before me and he didn't seem to mind her at all.

I have no idea why this dog would single me out, and I have to go back and see this friend next week. I don't know what to do when i arrive. She wants me to give him another chance. So I'm wondering if anyone here might know what is the best thing to do. I'm going to get out of the car and this dog is going to be there - no doubt loose. Do I greet the dog? Ignore it? Ask her to lock it up or put it on a lead? Would the lead make it more likely to act aggressively? I've never been nervous of a dog in my life and I have worked as a vet nurse and owned plenty. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like the dog is feeding off your nerves. If she is a friend who values your friendship, then she should lock it away when you visit. Having it on lead is not good enough.  Some dogs are more aggressive when on lead & there is the danger of it being able to pull away from her, being such a strong dog. Maybe put it in a crate in the same room so it can get used to you without the fear of biting you.  But if it were me, I wouldn't trust it.  Does she know any of it's history, being a rescue??? 

• Like 3

Could she arrange for your visit to coincide with a behaviourist's consultation? If you don't know the dog's history, there are many possible causes. Perhaps you look like someone he knew "before". (Is it possible that you, as a vet nurse, held the dog for veterinary treatment?) It's impossible to guess the causes and triggers over the internet, but a behaviourist on the spot might identify what's happening.

Has the rescue organisation offered any advice or assistance?

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 3

Ask for the dog to be put away to keep you safe. This also keeps the dog safe, considering that the more he bites the greater risk he’ll be at of being euthanised. So it’s the ideal thing to do. :)

If not, ignore the dog even if he comes up to you. Stay still and don’t talk to him, touch him or even look at him. Just because a dog is close does not mean he wants to be greeted by you, especially if you reach over his head or put your hand in his face.

A lead may make the dog more aggressive if he can’t get away from you. Think of if you were trapped in a corner and had no method of escape from a scary thing, if flight wasn’t an option you might feel compelled to fight!

And watch out for subtle signs of stress. Some dogs can quickly ramp up from low level stress signals to snapping or biting, especially if they have been punished in the past for growling or showing other more overt signs of wanting people to give them space. :(

http://info.drsophiayin.com/free-poster-on-body-language-in-dogs

http://info.drsophiayin.com/how-to-greet-a-dog-ebook

http://www.dvm360.com/sites/default/files/images/pdfs-for-alfresco-articles/Ladder_Aggression_Revised.pdf

Link to vet behaviourists: https://www.anzcvs.org.au/chapters/veterinary+behaviour+chapter

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 4

You dont have to be this dog's guinea pig, I would ask her to put it away unless she is working on its behaviour within a structured plan worked out by a behaviouralist. If she won't see a professional I would also suggest she should muzzle it or remove it when new people arrive, or she could end up with some legal liability next time it bites.

I suspect you remind it of someone else in its past. I have had dogs get very happy when they see a certain body type, age etc because of good associations and it may be the same in reverse. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I would not be walking into a situation where I knew a dog was likely to bite me. Er, it hurts! And if for some reason he escalates, he can do you serious damage, more than just bruises. It's also scary as hell being around a dog that might at any time bite you. If your friend wants you to give him another chance, she has to make absolutely sure he cannot bite you. A leash at a minimum. I ask for barriers when I visit a dog with a bite history. I want a door or fence between me and it, thanks. And I want there to be a leash as well if door or gate is going to be opened. I don't want him rushing through people's legs to get to me. I explain that it's not good for anyone if the dog bites me. I don't want to be bitten because it bloody hurts, but I also don't want their dog to practice that behaviour anyway. I don't want to be the one that provokes them that far. And I don't want them to see their dog hurt someone. I would encourage you not to interact with this dog. It is too hard to say how it might go. Sometimes a treat and retreat game can win a leery dog over, but then again, sometimes it seems to make dogs more aroused and more eager to try to control you, which might make them even worse. 

• Like 3