How long have you waited?

FalconRange

DOLers, from the time you find yourself ready for and open to the idea of another family member, to the time you bring them home, how long have you waited for your ideal new pup/dog to come home? 

I've been on a waiting list for quite some time to bring home my ideal family member. Some opportunities were turned up in the meantime, and others haven't come to pass as hoped. Life gets in the way of perfect plans, I guess.

I've got some friends who say I'm mad for having waited this long, but I've felt really strongly that I'm willing to wait for the right puppy. 

Has anyone else waited for what occasionally seems like ages, holding out for what they wanted? Did it turn out like you hoped? Or would you not wait, and just take whatever opportunities come again, knowing that future plans usually never happen as you hope anyway?

Edited by FalconRange

I’m happy to wait for my right dog especially as it’s a future showdog but given I have other dogs I show it isn’t a case of needing something now kind of thing.

As a breeder we have people who will wait but I do believe some will never find what they want so I can honestly say we tend to take them of the list as they often end up wasting our time especially as there is always another great home available .

So I sit in the middle understanding but some I think live the dream by simply having there name Down on the list ,some will never be happy with the pup they get as there expectations are to much so we are very cautious dealing with such people 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear what you had to go through TSD. Four weeks would have been especially tough.

I think I waited 18 months or so for my border terrier. I spent quite a while researching both the breed and breeders then once I found who I liked I waited 12 months for a litter. The breeder was two states away and I was going to leave it to her to choose a puppy for me based on what she knew I was after but as fate has it, I actually got to see the litter at 6 weeks old. I loved the puppy she had chosen for me so felt 100% better knowing this and have been happy ever since. Good luck in your search!

• Like 4

I've been fortunate; I've never waited more than 2 or 3 months.

I would wait a year or so, but no more. These days, I grab the moment, because I've learnt that changes in circumstances can turn the right time to raise a puppy or participate in a dog sport into the wrong time. In the past, my participation in dog sports has been interrupted by injury, changes in work hours and changes in the health of a relative.

Also, I think, waiting too long would load a burden of expectation onto the puppy. Even when I know the parentage of the litter for several generations and have carefully chosen the most suitable puppy, there's still an element of chance. One of my dogs gets so miserably car-sick that he hates travelling, and is so sensitive that one shouting obedience instructor ruined his enjoyment of obedience work away from home. After that experience, I chose my last puppy with hopes for the future, but let the plans unfold as she grew. It would be more difficult to accept the vagaries of chance if I'd waited years for that puppy.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 3

being the type of person I am, I found a breeder 4 years in advance, when I was told my staffy had a very aggressive type of cancer. I explained his ill health and said I'd only want a puppy once he'd passed. As luck would have it, the first removal of the tumour saw it come back pea sized, but stay that size for four years. Once it took off it took two months to kill him.

In the days after his death I contacted the breeder and let her know I'd be ready for a pup in about 9 months time. That ended up working in perfectly with two litters she bred. From the moment I got the puppy home I knew he was exactly what I wanted. He's absolutely perfect.

• Like 4

Waited six years and it ended up in heartbreak, but I learn some very valuable things in that time. 

I have been waiting four years and from the looks of it I still need to do more waiting because everything doesn't seem to go to plan sometimes. 

--Lhok

• Sad 3

I was willing to wait 9 months for a Welshie because it lined up with when I could get free to work on the intro and puppy. Declined a few while waiting for not meeting personality or age or time line criteria. 

When that that didn't work out (and a couple of other welsh springers pups, still borns, failed breedings etc) the Welshie ppl helped me find thyme - who is pretty much the exact personality I was looking for in a different shape. Timing was exact. 

I still want that Welshie so I'm now 7 months into a two year wait for the next (hopeful) breeding from one of three breeders (ideally my preferred and fave). I'm okay with this, because again will line up with my timelines. If all 3 fail or wrong personalities , i don't know if I'd be willing to wait years again or might just go with a pound pup that has the personality I want. Will have to see closer to the timeline. My thinking is much easier to find a dog that will suit us than it is to get time off to help guide pup into fitting into our life. Would really like her to be a Welshie though!

This time at least, won't be bottom of the lists ;) I am crossing fingers hard. 

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 2

For us the frustrating ones are those who go on about must haves ,will wait,not perfect enough etc etc and then phone you to say have brought a pup that wasn’t what they wanted from a random breeder because they couldn’t wait any longer and ask for your help as they have issues .

The reason many breeders don’t deal with in blunt terms time wasters .

we no longer take waiting lists and believe those who are serious will respect us by being honest and upfront others who seem to want to p,at the game we find hard to build a trusting relationship with and question there honesty 

• Like 2

I also think it depends on the Breed you want.... I have been lucky, because I am so active in my chosen breed I have been lucky enough to be that horrid person that jumps the waiting list. As people know me and my other dogs and all that we do with them and we sort of promote the breed....

Edited by newfsie

21 minutes ago, newfsie said:

I also think it depends on the Breed you want.... I have been lucky, because I am so active in my chosen breed I have been lucky enough to be that horrid person that jumps the waiting list. As people know me and my other dogs and all that we do with them and we sort of promote the breed....

well know one would know you jumped the list unless they were told. And while I don't keep a waiting list I try to make the  best match of home to each pup, regardless of when the peolel first inquired.

• Like 1

Since my mother passed on, I've been waiting for an Australian Terrier which was her first ever breed. One litter just didn't happen, I was referred to another breeder who didn't know me and was reluctant, so I decided to wait on the first breeder.

In the meantime I lucked into a litter of a breed my mother almost went into, but there weren't any in Australia at that time, and she was looking into import from NZ which fell though and she turned to another breed. Now that I have an English Toy Terrier (Black and Tan) I am hooked - they are the naughtiest, cleverest and most adorable small dogs I have ever had! 

I still want an Australian Terrier, as a memorial to my late Mum, but I will never ever regret the diversion and choosing a different memorial in the mean time, so I am content to wait a few more years.

Edited by RuralPug
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

We waited 6 years before we were able to get a Field Spaniel pup. At the time there were only 4 breeders and when we got our boy, it was pure luck...ringing a breeder when she had a pregnant bitch.

now on a waiting list for another...in 2 years.

I already have a waiting list for 2019! Em’s pups had only just gone to their new homes when the requests started. 

I have my eye on a breeder and a different breed for a pup. It will be quite some time before I’m ready for that pup but I’ve now got an established relationship with the breeder. 

• Like 1

For a pet I can love any dog. I also don't think that you know exactly how a puppy will turn out so it depends on your standards of expectations. As long as the puppy is the breed I want,looks as it should, comes from a good environment & ticks all boxes health wise that is fine.

For breeding/showing it is very different. I am a pain. I did wait for 4 years for a cat from one breeder & several years for a puppy from another line, which actually did not work out so well.

One cannot ever guarantee things 100% with living creatures however one thing I am sure of is do not wait too long. In a few years there will not be any pure bred, pedigree dogs with all these stupid laws & controls.