Moving States - Melbourne Recommendations

Batmantha

I'm looking at moving to Melbourne to be closer to family, probably around Werribee, Point Cook kinda way and was just wondering if

a. Anyone know of pet festivals that happen around there (like my local council in Sydney run 2 pet shows a year)

b. Any nice places to walk the dogs around there

c. Can I just transfer my dog registration there or is Melbourne's registration different to Sydney

And any advice on moving interstate with 2 dogs would be great as well

Thanks

Edited by Batmantha

Ex Victorian here .. hopefully one of the locals will be along with more info  ... but a few things.    The NSW registration is only for NSW, so dogs will need to be registered with the local council in Vic    You can find information about that at the relevant council websites .. Here's the one for Wyndham Council which covers the Werribee area.

An agility friend of mine is enjoying Nosework classes here .. It's a private facility but there are also a few community dog training clubs within relatively easy reach.

Also the microchip databases are different down here so please remember to swap over from the nsw companion animal register to either central animal records or national pet register. You will need a vet to sign off the transfer (certifying it is the correct chip number basically) 

As for councils doing stuff for the people who pay rates? Ha! :laugh: well that would certainly never happen in the eastern suburbs councils I've lived in. 

• Like 2

Point cook is surrounded by gorgeous walking areas and not too populated. I love taking my dogs to visit friends down that way!

there are festivals every few months or so. There was a small dog carnival last week, a pets market a month or so ago. In the next week or so there's a Halloween pet parade. 

I find out most from Facebook and instagram. Find day cares etc near you and they'll share local events. 

Update your nsw chip to new address as you leave and have a note added that you're in Victoria now. Then register dogs chip on nationwide database and with your new council. 

<- Melbourne with a nsw dog...

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Thistle the dog said:

Point cook is surrounded by gorgeous walking areas and not too populated. I love taking my dogs to visit friends down that way!

there are festivals every few months or so. There was a small dog carnival last week, a pets market a month or so ago. In the next week or so there's a Halloween pet parade. 

I find out most from Facebook and instagram. Find day cares etc near you and they'll share local events. 

Update your nsw chip to new address as you leave and have a note added that you're in Victoria now. Then register dogs chip on nationwide database and with your new council. 

<- Melbourne with a nsw dog...

Yeah I was just looking at some of the houses in Point Cook it looks adorable!

Is dog registration yearly in Melbourne?

The Halloween pet parade sounds awesome!

I have my dog on both NSW CAR and Central Animal Records registeries, so I’m not sure you need to “transfer” it as such or just make sure it’s on an Australian wide one as well? I could be wrong. Of course make sure both are kept updated.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

I guess? NSW CAR wanted me to transfer a kitten I'd bought from NSW rather than just having him on multiple registries - but maybe that's because he'd been chipped in my name by the breeder and I wasn't in NSW? Generally they made things much more difficult than they needed to be...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thistle the dog said:

Personally...I will avoid buying nsw dogs from now on. Such a bother getting anything sorted if your address isn't nsw anymore 

I remember you saying that you had a heap of trouble with Thistle. That's such a shame! :( it should be so straight forward..

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, Thistle the dog said:

You will end up having the chip on two registries. The NSW one and then the Australia wide one you decide on. 

Personally...I will avoid buying nsw dogs from now on. Such a bother getting anything sorted if your address isn't nsw anymore 

Is there a better Australia wide one?

Yearly fees will take getting used to but from everything I've read Point Cook actually provide services to dog owners so I'm all for paying for that :) I don't think the council provided bins ever get emptied in my area :mad

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:17 PM, Thistle the dog said:

All my pets are on Central Animal Records. They send reminders every now and then to update your details, and make it super easy. I think it was a one time fee of $10 or $15.

Did you have any issues trying to add your pets? I've tried both dogs and keep getting the error "× Sorry, microchip number is not matching."

14 hours ago, Batmantha said:

Did you have any issues trying to add your pets? I've tried both dogs and keep getting the error "× Sorry, microchip number is not matching."

There is an agreement that all microchip registries have to avoid fraud. Whenever details are being added to a registry for the first time they can only be added by a registered implanter - almost all vets are registered to do this and in some states, private individuals can undertake a course and be registered too. Once the chip is on the registry , then the owner can alter details etc.