Looking for a cat-friendly dog

It's now been over 12 months since Fleming has gone, and I feel it's time for a new companion.  I was wondering if anyone here in the rescue world can recommend a dog for me.  My only stipulation is it MUST be cat friendly.

I had a trial adoption earlier this year which was not successful when the dog attacked the cat.  Thankfully she had no serious or long-term injuries, but it took months to get her emotionally better.  She is quite timid and she loves to run up the hallway chasing dust bunnies.  I have seen quite a few dogs on rescue group websites that say they are cat friendly so long as the cat doesn't run or stands its ground !

Otherwise, pretty much anything else goes.  Probably not a full-on working breed, and something that is OK being home during the day, but I'm not fussed on size, coat etc.

Hopefully someone knows the ideal pooch :)

I have had many fosters here, plus cats. Even some of my own dogs will chase new cats that run, they think it is part of a game. My house is divided by gates into areas where the dogs can't go and the cats can, so those cats that don't mind dogs have the run of the whole house, and the cats who are timid and allow themselves to be chased stay out of the dog zones.

Thus it is easy for me to see if a new rescue needs to go into a cat-free foster home or can be fostered with a cat.

My advice to you would be to avoid young pups and adolescents, as these will always want to join in your cat's game, which will terrify the cat due to her bad experience. Choose a dog that is three or four years old at least, and wait for one that is good with timid cats - they are out there, often having been surrendered from a home where they lived with cats.

Only consider rescues where the dogs are fostered out, as obviously dogs in pounds, shelters or kennels can rarely, if ever, display their ability to live calmly with cats. Contact as many groups as you can that foster (you can find groups on PetRescue in your area) and email them telling them all you have above plus the state of your fences, where the dog would live (indoors or outdoors) etc. and ask them if they have a suitable candidate for you to trial. Do keep a record of each one, so that you can advice them when you have a dog to trial and later, when you have found the perfect match, that you are no longer looking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Powerlegs said:

Blast. I wish my Eddie coped alone. I'd love for one of my dogs to be adopted by you. :heart: 

I often check out your website to see if there's anything suitable :heart:

Thanks RuralPug, I often check out PetRescue but I've heard some horror stories about unethical rescues advertising through there, or even just false advertising on characteristics, of their fosters, hence my post in this thread for recommendations from rescue people I trust.  I've been out of the rescue world for so long now that I'm not sure which rescues are good 

• Like 2