Expectations from breeder

Eni

Hi

This could have been linked to a previous post but I decided to open a new thread. It would be nice to get some advice from  breeders directly.

I put a deposit down for a cocker spaniel puppy from a DOL breeder couple of weeks ago, the puppy is now 4 weeks old. What communication should I expect as a part of a normal (not over the top) relationship  with  the breeder?  I have asked couple of times for a picture but I haven't received any.  The puppy will be travelling to Qld so I cannot visit in person.

Should I wait until they ask for the puppy to be paid in full and then ask for all the information , including pictures ?  I don't want to overwhelm them with emails , I just really want a picture of my puppy, the names of the parents and if they can tell me a little about her personality.

What do you think? 

I am not a Breeder and I purchase my Newfoundland dog Puppies from responsible breeders.... I have never ever put down a deposit. I pay for the puppy when I pick up the puppy. For my last two puppies, two year and about three years ago, I was inundated with lots of puppy pictures and videos. Now that we have such great cameras/phones I would think this was normal... please do not pay the full price until you are there to pick up your puppy.

Have you had to sign a contract? Answer lots of questions and maybe even had to give some references if the person breeding the pup has never met you?

I was given full breeding and copies of the parents registration papers and also the health checks results for Hips, elbows and some other diseases that were check with DNA testing.

A responsible Breeder happily gives you this information

I have a great relationship with my two different breeders and they always want updates on their pups all throughout their lives. And that means 10 and eight years for one of my Breeders and three and two for the other

• Like 3

Once my puppies are born, they are all usually spoken for way before the are born, I send the prospective owners photos of the litter on day one, then each week for about three or four weeks it is litter photos, then until they are picked up individual puppy photos, no one gets to choose a puppy I do that for them to suit their needs.

It is a very busy time for the first four to six weeks for a breeder and very tiring, so I am not surprised that you have not heard from them, I would just drop them an email asking how the puppies and their Mum are going and as an aside just ask if she may have a photo of the litter for you to see.

In over 40 years of breeding I have never taken deposits, whether refundable or not.

• Like 5

At the very least you should know the parents names by now and a picture or two of the pups. I don't take deposits and I don't allocate pups to people until I know more about both.  There isn't a lot of personality at 4 weeks. I find that comes more from 5 weeks on. By all means ask for more, you've already paid for something.

• Like 6

Same as @Mjosa but I encourage my puppy people to jump on FB as it’s so easy for me to upload pics. I’ve just allocated this litter at 6 weeks so I’m sending personal videos and photos as well. One person has paid in full because they wanted to finalise everything including the flight interstate. Another person has just paid for the flight so far. I’m happy for payment on pickup or before they go on the plane. I will be sending puppy packs interstate a week before they fly, provided puppy is paid for in full. 

• Like 3

I know the lady is not into emails and facebook,  the daughter does all that for her.  I will wait couple of more days and then send another email requesting parents name etc.  I was told the dad is a dog from another breeder,  would it be rude to check with them?  I don't want to step on peoples toes. I know the puppy exist and it's  not a scam,  just concerned about the health and temperament more than anything. 

It is not rude to ask for more information, (as long as you don't email daily!!)however if the breeder is not online, it might require a family member to visit the breeder's home and take photos to be uploaded, which might take some organising.
Perhaps you could resolve a lot of your worries if you had the breeder's phone number and could speak with them directly? Sire being from another breeder is not at all unusual, put the stud owners rarely have direct contact with puppy buyers and may not know what you want to find out.

• Like 4

If the breeder isn't into tech, I would phone rather than email.  Having a chat with a breeder is a good way to clear things up and establish a personal relationship.  You probably don't know for sure that your email even reached her... might be sitting in the junk mailbox.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sandgrubber said:

If the breeder isn't into tech, I would phone rather than email.  Having a chat with a breeder is a good way to clear things up and establish a personal relationship.  You probably don't know for sure that your email even reached her... might be sitting in the junk mailbox.

The emails reach the daughter. She keeps saying she will get a picture but never did. I will wait a little longer and then ask again for names of parents, a picture, diet information etc or I will give the breeder a call.

5 hours ago, Eni said:

The emails reach the daughter. She keeps saying she will get a picture but never did. I will wait a little longer and then ask again for names of parents, a picture, diet information etc or I will give the breeder a call.

You have no idea what is going on between mother and daughter.  Just call.  I'm both an oldie, and someone who is phone shy and addicted to email.  Most of my generation would prefer to hear the sound of a human voices.  With all the crap that I get in my inbox, I can see the point.

• Like 1

the breeder of my dog didn't send many emails or puppy pics wasn't very reliable replying. Well when I went to visit the puppies, on top of two litters close together her husband had been in hospital and an enquiry with a real estate agent had seen their house sell within days of being on the market and they were needing to find a new place, so she'd had a lot on!

• Like 4

On 10/24/2017 at 3:18 PM, Eni said:

Hi

This could have been linked to a previous post but I decided to open a new thread. It would be nice to get some advice from  breeders directly.

I put a deposit down for a cocker spaniel puppy from a DOL breeder couple of weeks ago, the puppy is now 4 weeks old. What communication should I expect as a part of a normal (not over the top) relationship  with  the breeder?  I have asked couple of times for a picture but I haven't received any.  The puppy will be travelling to Qld so I cannot visit in person.

Should I wait until they ask for the puppy to be paid in full and then ask for all the information , including pictures ?  I don't want to overwhelm them with emails , I just really want a picture of my puppy, the names of the parents and if they can tell me a little about her personality.

What do you think? 

I'm not a breeder but I did get both my furbabes (18week old pup now and a 5 year old) from an interstate breeder. Im sorry if this will offend other breeders but she was hopeless. If you choose to breed and sell I think you should be on top of things including communication with your buyer. She only communicated via email even when I gave her my mobile number and she still didn't offer hers. Pics sent to me via email of the pups, I would look at the background setting. It was a pig sty. That should have set alarm bells in my head. I know now that she had a few litters going from different bitches and was probably overwhelmed???? I don't know. And she posted all the paperwork to the same suburb where i live but in a DIFFERENT STATE! Took me two weeks to get it after numerous calls to australia post. 

Anyway....

I really don't think its too much to ask for pictures of your pup since you have already paid a deposit and the excitement of a new family member has kicked in. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, SA Fur Mum said:

I'm not a breeder but I did get both my furbabes (18week old pup now and a 5 year old) from an interstate breeder. Im sorry if this will offend other breeders but she was hopeless. If you choose to breed and sell I think you should be on top of things including communication with your buyer. She only communicated via email even when I gave her my mobile number and she still didn't offer hers. Pics sent to me via email of the pups, I would look at the background setting. It was a pig sty. That should have set alarm bells in my head. I know now that she had a few litters going from different bitches and was probably overwhelmed???? I don't know. And she posted all the paperwork to the same suburb where i live but in a DIFFERENT STATE! Took me two weeks to get it after numerous calls to australia post. 

Anyway....

I really don't think its too much to ask for pictures of your pup since you have already paid a deposit and the excitement of a new family member has kicked in. 

I hope everything will turn out in the end. I will give them an extra week to deal with the litter, get things organise and then I will make contact again.