A dog has killed a woman in Canberra ....

PossumCorner

No details (yet) on the news.  Must have been a severe attack as a man was also injured - and attending police were also attacked and shot the dog.  Poor people, poor dog - there will be a lot of talk and misinformation as usual I guess, very sad all round.

1 hour ago, Little Gifts said:

Just checked out the news report "believed to be a pit bull." Why do they have to do that. They have so little information about what seems to be a horrific incident I doubt they have the breed of the dog confirmed.

They might know. Pit bulls are legal in Canberra. It could easily be registered as that. 

I wonder why this dog was so savage. Did it need a trigger or was it always like that? I’m not asking here, just pondering:confused:.  She didn’t even have proper fencing and yet she knew it was dangerous.   

I have a real fear of dangerous dogs, there are so many around.  

On 30/10/2017 at 5:54 PM, Kirislin said:

She didn’t even have proper fencing and yet she knew it was dangerous.  

Yeah the least you could do to be a responsible owner, if she was so adamant she could safely keep this dog, is to get VERY STRONG fencing that the dog couldn’t climb! 

14 hours ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

Yeah the least you could do to be a responsible owner, if she was so adamant she could safely keep this dog, is to get VERY STRONG fencing that the dog couldn’t climb! 

The dog might have gone over very high fences. The report did state that she was keeping the dog inside after that. The dog had attacked a person that had attacked the owner, from what I can work out. 

I wonder if the woman and the man had a fight and the dog went in.  They might even have just been kissing or something. 

Another report that shows the dog with the owner http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-25/dog-death-canberra-watson-police/9083028

All very sad. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

Yes. Extremely sad. :( 

It did say she had a broken back fence though, that’s what I was referring to. :( 

I've currently got a broken side fence. It got blown over in a storm on Monday. Luckily the neighbour and his sons have made it quite sturdy but it is still technically broken. Having a broken fence doesn't make you an irresponsible dog owner. If she was letting the dog escape through the broken fence that would be irresponsible but the article said she was keeping the dog in the house because of the fence. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JulesP said:

I've currently got a broken side fence. It got blown over in a storm on Monday. Luckily the neighbour and his sons have made it quite sturdy but it is still technically broken. Having a broken fence doesn't make you an irresponsible dog owner. If she was letting the dog escape through the broken fence that would be irresponsible but the article said she was keeping the dog in the house because of the fence. 

According to newspaper reports, the property was public housing rental. The housing authority claimed they had no record of being asked to repair the fence.

• Like 1

There was another attack today, a woman walking her on leash dog has been hospitalised after a mauling by two loose dogs. To be honest these attacks alarm me more than the poor woman killed by her own dog, no doubt because the victims are random. My own dogs have been attacked when out for an on leash walk on several occasions, I don't know why it is so but Canberra has a real problem with aggressive dogs. 

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-woman-in-hospital-after-dog-attack-in-lyons-20171108-gzh4xn.html

Edited by Diva