Which dog breed is best for me?

L0r3t4l3s

Hi, just wanting to ask a question. So I haven't had a dog in years (since childhood) but have been wanting one so I have been trying dog quizs to find what's suited for me but I keep getting different results. I have favorites like the Boston Terrier, French Bulldog or British Bulldog but been worried if my lifestyle is suited so I wasn't sure which to choose or any other breeds.

So I wrote this, questions taken from the quizs that describes me and what I'm looking for.

*I'm between 22 -30 years
*I'm laid back, keeps to myself and mostly stay at home
*I have no allergies
*I'm in fair health

DOG/PUPPY -
*Balcony apartment or no yard/garden flat
*I can keep the dog secure
*Can be fine alone (4+ hrs) and/or crate trained
*Best for those you haven't had a dog before or no experience with dogs
*I have no children or elderly people
*Mostly a couch potato or moderate energetic
*Size and length/type of coat is not important
*I can pay up to $30+ weekly for feeding
*Can groom once or few times a week
*No need for protection or guarding, though warning barks are fine
*Can do regular walks once an 1 hr each day and I can always play when at home/not busy etc
*Happy to train the basics
*Wanting a companion
*Independent/ self willed or neither too independent nor too affectionate
*No hunting or sporting skills needed
*Quite or medium temperament
*Cooperate with small pets (reptiles, rat, bird and cat)

You can mention any breed that matches in your experience, thanks!

OK I wrote a whole essay which disappeared somehow into the ether when a cat walked across my keyboard!! So instead of explaining (again! :rofl:)why I don't think that any of the breeds you listed are the very best match I'll just state the breed that seemed to me to your best match.

Tibetan Spaniel.

Do a bit of research on this breed. You can start right here on Dogzonline by reading the entry on Tibbies in Breeds 101 and then look at the breed profiles and breeder pages.

Then you can google for independent reviews of the breed.

I see you are in Victoria where there is a very strong breed club:)

There is also a quite strong online Tibbie group Australia wide of which I am sure forum member @mita can give you all the details (plus worldwide groups I'm sure LOL) if you wish to find out more about this delightful cat monkey breed.

I suspect that you may well join the ranks of Tibbie tragics as fans call themselves.

Tibbie Tragic reporting in,  as RP suggested.  Big yes to all the links she gave, especially to breed descriptions and registered Tibetan Spaniel breeders (on the Dogzonline Purebred Community pages).  The Tibetan Spaniel Association of Victoria is very helpful and they have a website.

All the Australian Tibbie Clubs plus Tibbie Pet Owners have a Tibetan Spaniel Rescue Australia,  Facebook page, where notices are posted about any Tibbies currently available from rescue groups or who are being privately rehomed.

There's a Tibbie Pet Owners Australia group on a Facebook page (close to 600 members).   You can apply to go on, just indicating interest in the breed & you'd be made welcome.   The pet owners give each other loads of support, sharing photos, tips and advice about all sorts of things.  Often play dates are arranged or there'll be a bigger social event.

There's also strong international connections in another Facebook group called Tibetan Spaniel All Over.  Apart from Australia... US, UK, Canada, Ireland, Europe are represented.    And very specially northern Europe (Sweden, Norway, Finland) where Tibbies are in the top 10 popular dog breeds.

There's a central Tibbies Net website for all things Tibetan Spaniel (very well maintained by US people, but designed to be international).  They have excellent information about the breed as a companion pet.  But they also include a section...'Is a Tibbie for You', for people to consider if the unique Tibbie character (especially with their cat-like nature) is for them.  That character's been called 1/3 dog, 1/3 cat and 1/3 monkey.  I often think an individual's nature is where they score most on those 3! 

If you need more info, just ask.... or PM.

Edited by mita

To give you an idea of Tibetan Spaniel size, here's a pic from fellow Tibbie Tragic's hobby farm. At left end, two Tibbies Daphne (gold) & Griffin (blackish), next a Border Collie, baby calf, then Bull Mastiff x with a third Tibbie Kenzi  (parti-colour) between his front legs.  Click to enlarge:

The ring-in baby calf, Nadia,  is being hand-fed around the clock.   She's 1/3 size of her normal-sized twin. 

22552973_10154815366496951_8737220405457678983_o.jpg

Edited by mita
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’d love to meet a “proper” tibbie. :) 

My only experience with one is our neighbours girl who was from a pet shop (as with any breed, DONT get a pet shop pup!) and the poor girl is a bit inbred I think... she’s super timid and has crooked bulgy eyes and is a bit like a canine rag-doll. :( 

I’m sure that is super off character to what they’re supposed to be like :( 

On 4 November 2017 at 10:36 AM, Scrappi&Monty said:

I’d love to meet a “proper” tibbie. :) 

My only experience with one is our neighbours girl who was from a pet shop (as with any breed, DONT get a pet shop pup!) and the poor girl is a bit inbred I think... she’s super timid and has crooked bulgy eyes and is a bit like a canine rag-doll. :( 

I’m sure that is super off character to what they’re supposed to be like :( 

Poor little mite.  Sounds very much like a mass-produced from puppy farm tibbie.  It's so cruel!  Yep, super off-character. Think of a cat, and a dog and a monkey.... mix, and you have a tibbie personality.  Hope you meet a few one day!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mita said:

Poor little mite.  Sounds very much like a mass-produced from puppy farm tibbie.  It's so cruel!  Yep, super off-character. Think of a cat, and a dog and a monkey.... mix, and you have a tibbie personality.  Hope you meet a few one day!

Yeah its really yappy and submissive/timid... 

I’m assuming by monkey you mean a bit cheeky & full of fun personality? 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

12 hours ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

Yeah its really yappy and submissive/timid... 

I’m assuming by monkey you mean a bit cheeky & full of fun personality? 

You got it & some can climb like monkeys with their lack of fear of heights and hare feet like mountain goats.  

But Tibbies can alternate thro' their 3 personalities.  Same Tibbie who sleeps on a sofa cushion all day, will erupt into zoomies or play with their soft toy later...then later alert you that a stranger that you haven't heard has entered the property.  Neighbours own a tibbie boy Creedence & they have a friend who's a retired police officer.  He said, he's never lost the habit of walking up silently to a front door ... but Creedence is the only dog ever that's blown his cover, from inside the house.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Tibbie x as a foster a number of years back - he was the dearest little boy.  We'd go bushwalking and he had a lovely time keeping up with the two big dogs (one who was probably 10x his size) - he'd climb up rocks and bound over fallen trees without a problem.

He was adopted by my lawn-mower man, and only passed a few weeks ago.  He would have been well into his teens.  Fabulous little dogs