puppy digging

quangle

We have a new puppy in the family. She is a kelpie/collie cross (9 1/2 weeks) so we are fully expecting and prepared for her to be a handful. Our previous dog was a springer spaniel and she was both super smart and super calm, which meant she was quick to learn new behaviours, but had very few behaviours we needed to put a stop to.  This pup is clearly going to be a different kettle of fish altogether. 

We have had her a little over a week and she is settled in, sleeps well in her crate, is coming along nicely with learning sit, down, go to your mat and a release cue. She waits for her food and is learning drop it for toys, 

So the first problem we are encountering so far is digging in the garden. I'm pretty sure this is our own fault. Obviously with a new pup we have been spending quite a bit of time outdoors with her to keep her busy and for frequent wee stops.  This has led to a fair bit of weeding being done while she is occupied entertaining herself.  I'm pretty sure she has picked up on the fact that we are pulling things out of the ground and has taken to doing it herself. As we have a garden bed that we recently turned over with a rotary hoe for planting,  it is nice soft diggable dirt which probably doesn't help.

We are not overly precious about the garden, but nonetheless don't really want to have what plants we do have dug up.  Also there is the concern as she gets older and is sometimes left alone, I don't want digging to become a way of getting out.  

So, I would welcome your suggestions please for curbing this behaviour?  
Thanks

1.thumb.jpg.93892659793e33ec87aa1644c520f187.jpg

• Like 1

The short version is: give her her own spot where she is allowed to dig. Praise her for digging there. Each time you see her digging elsewhere, go to her (don't call her to you) and then take her to her own digging spot and encourage her to dig there.

Burying treats in her own digging spot is a good way to encourage her to use her own spot.

• Like 5

You were very fortunate with your previous dog. The only sort of puppy I would expect NOT to dig in a soft garden bed is a stuffed toy. To you, it's a garden; to her, it's a playground just waiting to be explored, with soft, diggable soil, interesting smells and worms and insects to dig up.

If you plan to leave her unsupervised in the garden, she needs to be separated from recently cultivated gardens. She needs her own digging area, and she needs the mental stimulation of a good training program. Even then, expect some damage to lawns and established gardens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Agree with providing her with a sandpit/digging pit of her own, and then encourage her good choices about where it's OK to dig.    As summer comes and you'll be spending more time in the garden, you might want to think also out using a portable x pen where she can be occupied close to you without being tempted ....something like stuffed frozen kongs for her to chew would be good.    My experience is that some dogs are keener on digging than others ..my current Border Collie puppy is a digger, and she and my older BC both like to scuff at grassed areas and get into the dirt .. to eat dirt and presumably bugs in them.   Obviously she'll also benefit from lots of mental stimulation .. so building on what you're already doing.

And she's adorable, by the way. :)

• Like 1

I very much doubt watching you pulls weeds has encouraged digging ,if it was that simple to train a dog by mimicking humans training would mean we all own the perfect dog with no excuses .

Chances are digging was normal where it was raised ,when we have litters we don’t encourage digging but they will give it a go after all there dogs,outside can be boring ,sterile and life so routined .

Some gardens literally say dig me ,pull me and destroy me 

• Like 1

My 6 year old border collie still digs in the garden.  He likes to make holes to sleep in.  I have allowed him one area in the garden & if he starts to dig in other parts I throw all the dog poo on that spot & it stops him for a while. My older BC has never dug the garden up.

• Like 1