Eating own puppy poo

Meg

I have a 9 week old Labradoodle pup who woofs her food down and it comes out the other end with very little processing, ie. looks quite similar to how it was before devoured.  I have tried several ideas to encourage her to eat slower (fed via a Kong, small amounts at a time over elongated period). I don't know whether I am not feeding her enough or if this is just something that young pups can do.  Does anyone have a solution please?  Meg  3.11.2-17

if the food isn't being digested, ie the same when it comes out to when it goes in, I'd be taking a poo sample and puppy to the vet.

what are you feeding and what did the breeder recommend? You could also discuss with the breeder and see what they say.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

How is your pup going? 

Are you feeding her a high quality dog food?  Sometimes some of the lower quality foods contain a large amount of fillers that some dogs can't digest properly.  If the food is not digested properly their poos will still smell like food to them and they will eat it.

Good luck.  I hope you've already solved the problem and she's not eating her poop anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I came here for the same reason.. Had no that problem in his early days, but I caught my dog eating his poop 2 times in the past two weeks. Our vet said the same thing, nutrition issue, so we are now trying out different food. If you come up with solution, keep us updated here please !

B12 :)

A canine multivitamin can be very effective. 

Or, some just like to do it. 

edit; I'm not ruling out diet change and actual veterinary issues like the need for bloods and floats etc especially if it looks the same coming out as it does going in. 

Edited by Powerlegs

23 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

if it looks the same coming out as it does going in. 

Our vet explained that right there might be an issue :/ The food goes all the way trough animal's stomachs and it comes out without much change... 

Like there is no body reaction to the ingredients ...

32 minutes ago, Samantha113 said:

Our vet explained that right there might be an issue :/ The food goes all the way trough animal's stomachs and it comes out without much change... 

Have you looked at slippery elm as a supplement? Very commonly used for gut issues in dogs and horses. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Samantha113 said:

And because they aren't digesting their food, even though they're being fed, they starve unless the issue can be fixed.

On 12/1/2017 at 2:19 AM, Powerlegs said:

Have you looked at slippery elm as a supplement? Very commonly used for gut issues in dogs and horses. :)

I used to give it to my other dog years ago, when he had diarrhea and it helped in solving that issue, but I had no idea that it could be helpful with this too! Thanks a lot for reminding me, will definitely do a little research about it :) 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 8:13 AM, karen15 said:

And because they aren't digesting their food, even though they're being fed, they starve unless the issue can be fixed.

Exactly :( I mean, vet didn't say it that way, but it just seems like a logical conclusion..

On 12/5/2017 at 8:16 AM, chrlsrand said:

How's your pup doing lately? 

Hi, thanks for asking,

Saturday I went to vet again because I panicked a bit, was checking other forums too and saw a lot of stuff :/

Anyhow, I insisted to do a bit more examinations, so they checked his pancreas ( as it may be the cause too :/ ), and luckily it was all ok with that.

Than we discussed anxiety and compulsive chewing (never heard of it before) and the vet concluded that's not the case either, huh! No parasites either, we take care of that regularly :)

The blood results were also pretty ok, but, BUT with a small Vitamine B deficiency. As he explained, it's nothing serious, the deficit is really small and he can't even say if that's the exact reason why my pup decided to eat feces a couple of times, since everything else is ok. He is not lethargic at all (my dog, not the vet :) ), no changes in behavior, still cheerful, still crazy <3 As tdierikx said, maybe it's simply because he liked it (rhrrrhr...).

However, of course I took it seriously, I changed his diet right after the first vet check (before I found out for that B issue) and now I added some supplements too. I was usually feeding him Royal canin, Proplan, but the vet suggested to switch to something more 'natural' and more Australian (because of protein source)... So now I feed him Ivorycoat grain free and we will see how it all goes, I can say that these few days we are doing fine... If anyone else has any recommendations for well balanced food and supplements, I am listening :)

The good news is that he didn't eat any more of his poop (omg, how it sounds....) after that first vet check, but I insisted on further examinations just to make sure it's all gonna be ok, to make myself more calm :) 

I hope that Meg will come back soon with an update about her Labradoodle...

• Like 1